Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Recurring pistols seen at CWP classes. (from an instructor's vantage point)

One of the things that I most enjoy about being a firearms instructor is tracking demographically what types of pistols people use to qualify during the class. Inevitably , recurring makes and models make frequent appearances. I am sure alot of it has to do current gunshop and dealer stock and what the sales employees recommend for novice shooters,( alot of my students are gunshop referrals), but there is also a heavy contingent of "gun people", those who know their stuff and have very firm preferences.

So here are the makes and models that I see most. I have been tracking this over the past few years. Please also note that I teach in West Central Florida, but I thought folks here in PA would also chime in, especially instructors. For folks who have their CWP, it should be interesting to compare your choices against what I am seeing. I will bring up the groups into revolvers and semis in order of popularity. I will limit it to the top 10 in semis and top 5 in revolvers. Feel free to chime in.

I. Semi Autos.

1. Glock 26
    2. Glock 27
    3. Glock 19
    4. Springfield XD 4 inch service model. 9 and 40 , about even
    5. Springfield XD 3 inch subcompact. 9 and 40, about even
    6. Kel Tec P11 and PF9 (both about even).
    7. Kel Tec P3AT
    8. Bersa Thunder .380ACP
    9. Smith & Wesson M&P Compact. 9 & 40
    10. Assorted Makarovs in 9x18, Bulgarian, Romanian, and Russian.

Revolvers.
    1. Smith & Wesson J frame Snubs. (2.0 and below) in .38+P dominant, some 357s.
    2. Taurus and Rossi J Frame clones .38+P dominant, some .357s.
    3. Ruger SP101 and GP100 sub 3.5 inch types. .38 and .357 about even.
    4. Charter Arms Snubs .38, .357, with some .44 special.
    5. Smith & Wesson model 10 in .38+P.

The above 10 semis and the above 5 Revolvers are the most popular makes/models I see every weekend. I would say that any given class will have a minimum of 50% of the shooters qualify with one of the above 15. Sometimes the % are even higher. Referal base is from 5 gunshops within a 50 mile radius of where I live in West Central Florida.
    For instructors who teach, and also for folks who have taken CWP classes, are you seeing similar makes/models in your classes?

NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor.

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Recurring pistols seen at CWP classes. (from an instructor's vantage point)

Qualify? Classes? Instructors?? whats that? lol

Seriously though..

You'll find a varying degree of firearms here in PA too. I've seen everything being carried here in PA. ....and I mean everything from 22rf's to 50cal's, semi-autos, revolvers, derringers, TC's single shots. Glocks, Colts, Ruger, S&W, foreign made, "junk" guns, custom pieces, etc..

I personally would throw must people off by running both ends of the spectrum with my being a 50/50 carrier of a Ruger Vaquero 5.5" / Walther P99. If I had to pick one and only one - it'd be the Ruger hands down.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

Default Re: Recurring pistols seen at CWP classes. (from an instructor's vantage point)

I can get away with concealling a Walther P99, but not a Vaquero.
    P.S: Florida is not open carry, CWP only.
    I take it the Vaquero is open carry. LOL

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by 40sw View Post
    I can get away with concealling a Walther P99, but not a Vaquero.
    P.S: Florida is not open carry, CWP only.
    I take it the Vaquero is open carry. LOL
    I used to have a resident FL CWP when I lived in Tampa.. ..am familiar with FL law. I used my PA hunter safety course card that I had gotten in my youth for my permit. Also attended a quick NRA course at a gun show at the FL Fair Grounds - but never really used the cert for anything. I carried a 1911 for CWP duties, and my Colt Python w/38spls for guard duty (limited to less than "38 cal") - was cert'd at Hillsborough Community College..

I conceal and open carry the Vaquero. Open in a typical drop holster, "concealed" with a high ride crossdraw on a cartridge belt. A long "over shirt" or jacket usually covers it to the casual observer.

I'm not really a OC'r or CC'r ... I'm a "I dont give a f*@$ if it shows or not carrier". lol If you see a long haired guy with a cowboy drop holster in or abouts the Brookville/DuBois, PA or Weirton & Mill Creek, WV areas - thats me.
    Last edited by knight0334; March 26th, 2008 at 10:23 AM.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Talking Re: Recurring pistols seen at CWP classes. (from an instructor's vantage point)

" If you see a long haired guy with a cowboy drop holster in or abouts the Brookville/DuBois, PA or Weirton & Mill Creek, WV areas - thats me."[/QUOTE]

I'd feel right at home.

(Allegheny County)

interesting stats. thanks for posting them.

it would be interesting to compare carry choices in OC states (where printing/gun exposure is absolutely not an issue) to states like FL and TX where CCW is popular, but OC is illegal.

i think we might have more people CCing full sized guns here. maybe not, though...would be interesting to compare.

personally, i carry a g17.

(Chester County)

That seems about right given what I've seen in the classes I've taken. Over 50% of the students show up with something in the G26/27/19/23 spectrum. Maybe 25% show up with snubbies (j-frame or ruger sp101). The last 25% is a mix typically dominated by 1911s, XDs, with the odd CZ or Browning thrown in for good measure.
    The material presented herein is for informational purposes only, is not guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up to date, does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT act or rely on any information in this post or e-mail without seeking the advice of an attorney YOU have retained.

In plain English, while I am an attorney, I'm NOT your attorney, and I'm NOT giving you legal advice.

(Jefferson County)

Sitting and thinking about it some more, I'd have to agree with Rule10b5. Glock does seem to have a heavy following in the classes, at the range and casual carry observance.

Couldn't really tell ya what model, they all look alike. (except compact and comp'd models)

I am thinking that on the class registration cards, I should ask the students a brief survey question. Something like this?

CAN YOU TELL US HOW MUCH YOUR CHOICE OF PISTOL WAS AFFECTED BY THE SALES PERSON AT THE GUNSHOP?

or

WHAT MOST AFFECTED YOUR CHOICE AND PISTOL SELECTION WITH RESPECT TO THE MAKE/MODEL YOU BROUGHT WITH YOU TODAY?

etc.
    thoughts?

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by 40sw View Post
    I am thinking that on the class registration cards, I should ask the students a brief survey question. Something like this?

CAN YOU TELL US HOW MUCH YOUR CHOICE OF PISTOL WAS AFFECTED BY THE SALES PERSON AT THE GUNSHOP?

or

WHAT MOST AFFECTED YOUR CHOICE AND PISTOL SELECTION WITH RESPECT TO THE MAKE/MODEL YOU BROUGHT WITH YOU TODAY?

etc.
    thoughts?

I wouldn't fill it out but that is just me. I have this aversion to sharing information with people I don't know, I won't do it.
    Bill USAF 1976 - 1986, NRA Endowment, USCCA

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast