Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Mifflin County)

Default Legal for Long Guns In Maryland?

I am a Pennsylvania resident who frequently camps (2-3 weeks) in Maryland each year. I know that my concealed carry permit does not allow me to take a handgun with me. But, is there a law preventing me from stowing my home defense shotgun in my camper? I stay mostly in private campgrounds while there and know that I would need there permission to do so. If this is posted in the wrong place you can move or delete it. I searched the site but failed to find an answer to this. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

(York County)

Default Re: Legal for Long Guns In Maryland?

Please don't take what I tell you as legal advice about dealing with Maryland, but according to my admittedly older edition of Maryland's digest of gun laws, you can have and transport a long gun in Maryland as long is it meets the following criteria:

-Cased and unloaded when traveling in vehicle, ammo kept in a different location from firearm.
    -Must be to one of the legitimate purposes set forth under Maryland law.

These "legitimate" reasons do not include self defense, but does include any type of sporting event: formal or informal.

My take would be to pack a box of clay birds and thrower and a box or two of skeet loads (stored separately of course).

If you do get checked by law enforcement you can at least say that you plan some skeet shooting while on vacation, hence the shotgun stored with you.

Honestly, I've never met an LEO who ever said it is an issue to have a long gun in your vehicle as long as it kept according to the state guidelines. Especially in the more remote regions of the state (Eastern Shore, Western Maryland), the climate is more tolerant towards guns.

One big difference in Maryland compared to NJ is that you don't have to have a FID card. Keep in mind if you are pulled over you will have your background checked. If you have something that makes you prohibited, Mr. Trooper will not be your friend anymore.