Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Washington County)

Default reloading .40S&W

Does anybody reload .40 S&W 155 grain bullets using hodgdon universal powder? I was curious on how this powder works and if anyone has a good recipe for it.

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: reloading .40S&W

Good powder.

I use it in 9mm, .40 S&W and 28ga.

Burns clean and makes a nice mid level practice round.

I only use 180gr in my .40 though.

Most books have data for Universal as well as Hodgdon's Reloading Data Center http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

(Beaver County)

If it helps or you I'm one of those IMR 4756 magic powder guys. I shoot a 4006 S&W with 135 grn nosler loads. Produces 1 1/4" grps at 10 yrds. If your interested on something lighter and faster.
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.

(Columbia County)

I don't use Universal. But I do load .40 S&W using 160 gr bullets, which are loaded very similar to the 155gr bullets. I follow the load data for 165 gr projectiles. Anyhow, I use 7.5 gr IMR 800x, which has proven very consistent and fairly light kicking. This load is also within the load range of a 155 gr projectile. I shoot it out of a subcompact XD. If you ever decide to experiment with a different powder, this one has worked well for me for the .40 S&W.

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by max384 View Post
    I don't use Universal. But I do load .40 S&W using 160 gr bullets, which are loaded very similar to the 155gr bullets. I follow the load data for 165 gr projectiles. Anyhow, I use 7.5 gr IMR 800x, which has proven very consistent and fairly light kicking. This load is also within the load range of a 155 gr projectile. I shoot it out of a subcompact XD. If you ever decide to experiment with a different powder, this one has worked well for me for the .40 S&W.
    I have some IMR 800x and wasnt sure if it would work for me. Some people said use it and some said dont.

(Columbia County)

Quote Originally Posted by M&P Chris View Post
    I have some IMR 800x and wasnt sure if it would work for me. Some people said use it and some said dont.
    Before you do any reloading make sure you have a reloading manual to check loads with. Help from the internet is great, it can really make the process much easier, but it is still the internet. I could tell you anything I wanted without any repercussions because of the anonymity of the internet. If I was so inclined, I could tell you to load your cartridge with 12 gr of Bullseye for shits and giggles - **DISCLAIMER: DO NOT DO THIS - You will ruin your gun and possibly lose your some fingers** Reloading manuals give you maximum OAL, loads for several powders with different projectiles, and special considerations among many other things. I suggest the Lyman 49th edition. It's my favorite. Other good ones are The ABCs of reloading and Lee's 2nd Edition. The Lyman manual alone has 12 listings for different powders for a 155 gr projectile for the .40 S&W, including 800x. Like I said, I have had great luck with it.

(Monroe County)

I had good luck with 800X but settled on Unique. 4.0 gr. Unique 175 cast Meister, Federal case, CCI small pistol primer. Not what you asked for just figured I'd add my favorite load. Good luck and make sure you work up your load from published data.