Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default .380 I don’t like it, however…

For some unknown reason I keep seeing these irritating videos in my suggested YouTube videos section. The topic being, is .380 ACP good enough? I do not carry .380 ACP, why would I want a 30% weaker 9mm? I carry .45 ACP and proper 9x19mm with Speer Gold 124gr +p, a load that crosses over into .357 magnum territory at 1250 fps, 500 ft lbs and the recoil is a powder puff, feather duster of a recoil to me. I cannot understand how any pistol caliber even 10mm, has recoil that a 15 year old can*t handle.

Anyway, what irritates me about these annoying videos is it*s always some tacticool guy that*s never shot a target that moves, obsessing over the lame ballistics of the .380. Yes, it sucks but is it good enough? Are you kidding me? It*s a .35 cal hole in a bad guy and it*ll drop them just like any other hole making projectile. I can*t watch these tacticool YouTube channels. As soon as I see any tac vests, run and gun drills on a paper target range or any other signs of tacticoolness I stop watching and find another video.

I love shooting guns, it*s in my top five favorite things in life, however you will never see me doing tactical pistol drills, while wearing camo and prepping for the apocalypse. Dear God, how does anyone watch those channels? I*d never own a .380, it*s a boring caliber, it*s also inaccurate at longer ranges due to the low velocity and light weight being affected by wind.

I feel adequately armed with 9x19mm with the right round and above. I*d say my Sig P226 is my favorite 9x19 and my H&K USP Expert is my favorite.45 ACP. It*s tough but those are my two favorites. For people that like smaller guns, there are some very small 9x19mm models, the Glock 43 would be a good choice.
    My three favorite things in life are guns, girls and cars. Everything else is secondary.

(Elk County)

Default Re: .380 I don’t like it, however…

I don't disagree, but if those videos annoy, I'd recommend you stop watching them.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

I will agree the 380 sucks ballistically but I also will say it doesn*t suck. It*s a convenience caliber to me. I own a few G42 Ruger LCP and LCP2 and they make carrying a gun easy mostly via pocket carry which I do not prefer. Also remember they are self defense gun for get off me distance so long range should be a focus but I get what you mean, I can and have shot my LCP at 50yds with good hits but not what it*s for. Ballistics are similar to 38spl and with the guns the size of a jframe same thing with get off me gun distances. I can conceal full size guns and they are more comfortable to me anyway but not everyone can do that and there are people with health concerns that cannot shoot larger more powerful calibers so 380 may make sense for them. Lastly the YouTube thing is every person that has ever spent 9 minutes in the military or someone that obtained an NRA firearms trainer license who is trying to promote their business or not work an actual job and they are *an influencer* with all the tactard crap they spent $2k to run around in front of a camera alone with. I*ve watched some of them and find garand thumb entertaining but even that guy has changed in the last few months and it*s become a little mundane and YouTube does for the most part suck with anything gun related.

I use to carry a .25
    FJB

Quote Originally Posted by *Klutch* View Post
    I will agree the 380 sucks ballistically but I also will say it doesn*t suck. It*s a convenience caliber to me. I own a few G42 Ruger LCP and LCP2 and they make carrying a gun easy mostly via pocket carry which I do not prefer. Also remember they are self defense gun for get off me distance so long range should be a focus but I get what you mean, I can and have shot my LCP at 50yds with good hits but not what it*s for. Ballistics are similar to 38spl and with the guns the size of a jframe same thing with get off me gun distances. I can conceal full size guns and they are more comfortable to me anyway but not everyone can do that and there are people with health concerns that cannot shoot larger more powerful calibers so 380 may make sense for them. Lastly the YouTube thing is every person that has ever spent 9 minutes in the military or someone that obtained an NRA firearms trainer license who is trying to promote their business or not work an actual job and they are *an influencer* with all the tactard crap they spent $2k to run around in front of a camera alone with. I*ve watched some of them and find garand thumb entertaining but even that guy has changed in the last few months and it*s become a little mundane and YouTube does for the most part suck with anything gun related.
    I will echo Klutch, it*s more of a convenience caliber for me also. I own a few .380s. And it*s more or less a quick pocket carry or in rare cases a belly band carry with basketball shorts. I also like the .380 small size for deep concealment.

I typically carry a 9 or a 40 but .380 gets love a few times a week. And now that it*s the hot, humid bullshit summer season I tend to carry the .380 more often based on clothing styles.

So no sour-rappin the ol .380 from me.
    Last edited by Bug44; May 9th, 2024 at 08:26 AM.
    ΑΣΦ

(Chester County)

It's better than a sharp stick and if it is more likely to be carried than a larger, heavier firearm, it's not a bad choice, but I do slightly prefer the Russian 9mm x 18 Makarov caliber.

(Elk County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pilot321 View Post
    It's better than a sharp stick and if it is more likely to be carried than a larger, heavier firearm, it's not a bad choice, but I do slightly prefer the Russian 9mm x 18 Makarov caliber.
    I also like the 9x18 Makarov and have a little over 1200 rds of the Barnaul hollow point ammo. I own several PMs, and sometimes carry an East German PM because they have proven to be extremely accurate, and I generally hit that at which I am aiming, where I want to.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Allegheny County)

380 sucks, 9mm sucks, 45 acp sucks, but the reason I carry a 9mm is because I can*t carry a rifle concealed.

Bottom line is use whatever you*re comfortable and proficient with, most all handgun calibers we carry are not one shot man stoppers.
    Today was a good day!

(Chester County)

Sneer all you want at .380 acp., everything short of an electric minigun is a compromise, IMO. Hell, even those who carry .44 mag. pistols sneer at the wimps who carry .357 mag. pea shooters. With the proper ammunition, .380 can meet the FBI protocols for a carry weapon. I'll be the sissy who usually carries my "l'll popgun" - everywhere, all the time. Carry on.

(Bucks County)

I sometimes carry a .32 ACP.
    Accuse your enemy of what you are doing as you are doing it to create confusion -Karl Marx

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast