Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default gorilla glue for stock repair?

What are your opinions? I have a mouser that I was cleaning up, and I noticed a crack at the front under the metal cap where the bayonet lug is. Stupid me pushed on it to see how far the split went, and what was a partial crack became a a full split. A 2 inch chunk popped off, right where the pin goes thru. A friend suggested gorilla glue. Thanks

(Lebanon County)

Default Re: gorilla glue for stock repair?

Well, in my opinion, if it were mine, I'd use the glue to fix-er up..Keeping that in mind you have to decide for yourself, is this a gun that is an heirloom or is it just a shooter? If its an heirloom then I would try to find a replacement stock as close to the original one as you can. If its just a shooter, then by all means glue away.. Now, I'm not 100% sure about this gun but I don't think theres alot of forces applied to that area of the stock. If this is the case then Gorilla glue would be overkill. I would just use regular wood glue. Don't mess with the split, the way it fell off is the way it should go back on. Just apply a small amount of glue to both sides and let them sit for about 5-10 min, then press them together. Tape around the glued joint try to make it tight without allowing the small piece to move around, tape it good! Allow this to sit over night and set up.. Once you feel that it is cured remove the tape, carefully! Now, take some sandpaper (120 grit) and lightly sand away any glue seepage. Do this very lightly as you do not want to mess the finish up too much, although some cannot be helped. Once this is done, and if it were me I'd just finish up with a lightly colored oil finish. Try to cover the split the best you can.
    Once when I was young and dumb, a friend of mine decided to "finish off" a squirrel but using the but of his gun, which of course cracked promptly in half. Actually, it was his fathers gun, we repaired that .22 with the above technique, pop never found out and my friend still has that gun with the same stock and its still going strong!

Hope this helps
    SEARCHER

(Delaware County)

Gorilla Glue is a polyurethane and does not penetrate wood fibers well. It also needs the parts dampened to work and it foams, clean up can be a bear.

Marine epoxy is the glue to use.

Surgical tubing is good for clamping odd shaped items like stocks. Just wrap it around like a big rubber band.

(Berks County)

I have used gorilla glue on a couple of stock repairs.

Bad thing about gorilla glue is it expands a lot when it cures, but it is strong!

I had a SKS handguard split in half...gorilla glued and clamped it back together and it came out very good. I refinished it and you can't even see the crack.

Degrease the cracked area as best you can, on a stock split (old pump shotgun), I actually opened up the split a millimeter or two to degrease with denatured alcohol before putting in the glue and clamping.

That one came out very nice and strong also....no new splits and holding up very well.
    "Disperse you Rebels! Damn you! Throw down your Arms and Disperse!" British Major Pitcairn at Lexington April 19, 1775

"Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things" Marvin Heemeyer

(Allegheny County)

No Gorilla Glue as mentioned above it is a Polyurethane and Swells way out of the cracks it is supposed to be mending. Go with Elmer's Carpenter's Glue *(The Yellowish Color). A Much Better Choice Truely and clamp or wrap securely.
    Last edited by John@JCDLESales; February 23rd, 2009 at 08:32 PM.
    John McCaw
    FFL/SOT2
    JCD Tactical LE Sales
    White Oak, PA 15131-2104
    412 980-1233

(Lehigh County)

Most woodworking glues will work well and actually be stronger than the original wood. There are dark colored wood glues if your stock has a walnut finish. Since the stock is likely stained and varnished, clean up should be minimal. Do not over clamp, squeezing all the glue back out. Wipe any squeeze out with a damp rag. You'll be fine.
    Veritas Vos Liberat

Wood glue or what was once called Horse bone glue is best for woods. Most dry clear now so that resolves that problem, you could also use a CA medium to thick, but its expensive and won't do a better job.
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

(Lackawanna County)

Aliphatic glue (Elmer's Carpenter's Glue) works very well; also if the pieces are large enough, you can notch a biscuit or small dowels to help stabilize the joint.

Marine epoxy is superb stuff, but it will dry much harder than the wood; over time, repeated shock and jarring can literally rip the glue pad off of the weaker of the two sides.
    "...a REPUBLIC, if you can keep it."

(Allegheny County)

Wow. Glad I asked! Thanks everyone for your help. I didn't mention, it is a non-matching shooter. And that should read mauser. Damn spell check. The stock was black from all the grease and grime when I. Got it. It cleaned up pretty well, I sanded the light dings after ironing it. There was still a lot of deep dents and scratches though. I filled them with wood putty. I wish I had a before pic. Thanks again.

(Allegheny County)

Thumbs up Re: gorilla glue for stock repair?

Thanks everyone. Elmers worked great. I used a small ratchet strap, looped thru the receiver cutout to pull the 2 pieces together and couple blocks of wood with a c clamp to keep the pieces in line. You can't even tell it was 2 pieces yesterday. I stained it today. Man, I really wish I took a pic before I started. Night and day.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast