Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Butler County)

Question Sig P229 Elite .40S&W

I am thinking about buying a .40 after recently purchasing an XD 9mm (Service Model). I enjoy the XD so far, but now I have an itch to buy "one of each". After the .40 will be .22LR or .45ACP.

Thus far, my thought process is since I have an XD I do not feel the need for another 9mm or for a Glock (too similar to the XD to buy the Glock second). I really want a .22 but that choice is simpler, either a S&W Model 41 or a Ruger Mark II/III (oh.. or maybe a Browning, hmm not so simple). The .45 is also easy, I would probably get a 1911 of some flavor, but what about the .40?

I think I want a Sig P229 Elite in stainless. The gun is dead sexy looking and gets great reviews... however it costs ~$1200. So the question is, what gun fills the niche, without breaking the bank? or is the P229 a damn good choice for a second gun?

The gun would be used for target shooting, possibly concealed carry, and to keep the XD company.

Opinions? BTW this is my first post, great forum!
    Last edited by Twister; July 14th, 2008 at 10:57 PM. Reason: Forgot this was my first post.

(Centre County)

Default Re: Sig P229 Elite .40S&W

Welcome to the forum Twister.

The SIG is a verrry nice gun and most would say that it is probably worth that kind of money. That said, there are a lot of 40's out there. Have you thought about an XD in 40? You already know how the basic gun works so switching from the 9 to the 40 is easy (same grip, same trigger, etc.). Also Taurus, Ruger, Smith and many others make 40's that aren't quite that expensive. For $1200, you could get both a 40 and a 22 and could get pretty good guns at that.

If you are absolutely dead set on the SIG, go for it, you won't regret it, they are nice guns.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Lawrence County)

welcome..i'm new too!

...just don't buy a Taurus.

maybe check out Kahr.
    Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    Have you thought about an XD in 40? You already know how the basic gun works so switching from the 9 to the 40 is easy (same grip, same trigger, etc.).
    Yeah, I thought about it briefly. However, I want something new to play with, and an XD of a larger caliber will not entertain me for very long. I think I will start researching the other Manufacturers you mentioned though.

Thanks.

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by Something View Post
    maybe check out Kahr.
    Kahr? I will look into it, thanks.

I noticed that a lot of the guns I seek are near $1K... This could take a long time to justify (and afford for that matter) the collection I desire.

(Monroe County)

My very first hand gun was a Sig 229 Elite, I think its a great gun. Yes it is a lot more expensive than other guns and most will do what you want them to do. But if you like the gun and you are set on it, you will not be disappointed. I have never had a single problem with mine, not even the slightest hiccup. It is very accurate and reliable. I paid under 1k for mine but I feel it was worth every penny

(Berks County)

I carry a taurus millenium pt140, only have 500-600 rounds thru it, but so far no problems at all so i'm considering getting its bigger brother the 24/7 (also in .40). If you go with taurus, do some research first. As with most companies who release a new line of anything, there were some problems at first. The first and second generations in millenium series, and first generation in the 24/7's were problematic for some people, though the issues are blown up far beyond what they really were. taurusarmed.net is a good resource for taurus pistols and rifles.
    Please help my Baby Kitties and I avoid being homeless.

(Washington County)

I just got the Sig 229 SCT in 40 at Gander Mtn. and i paid 799.99 for it came with 4 14rd mags. i love it 100% if you like the Sig 299 i say go with it, but look at some of the other ones they have the Equinox is damn sexy and if i bought another one it would be that one.

ps my friend just bought the Sig 229 elite stainless in 9mm and he loves it

(Allegheny County)

did you look at any 1911's in 40SW ?

damn sexy, and would scratch your 1911 itch too:
    http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/53554

Or look into para doublestck 1911's in 40SW, much more reasonably priced.

Have you looked into any CZ's ? I own a 40B and did a trigger job on it with Lycan (meaning I mostly watched, learned, and held a light) and its frickin saaaweeet as hell!

(Lawrence County)

I thought the point of the thread was suggestions on cheaper alternatives...

If we're not talking cheaper, I hands down suggest HK USP Tactical.
    Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast