Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default First memories of shooting

The thread on what your family thinks about you carrying got me to thinking.

What are your first memories of shooting? Was it with a family member, friends, etc?

For me, I think I was about 8 when my dad took me out with his brother. I got to shoot an old tube fed bolt action .22. It was the first gun my dad got when he was a kid--he still has it today. We would go to the rock quarry and set up targets and shoot away. As time went on, my dad and uncle would take turns throwing clays while I shot at them with an old bolt action 20ga. They would literally spend hours throwing the clays for me. My uncle was a big time shooter. He had a crap load of reloading equipment set up in his basement. He didn’t own any EBR’s, but he had a crap load of bolt guns and shotguns.

When I turned 11, my dad bought me my first rifle, a .22-250. We would go shoot ground hogs off farmers land. They loved us coming around. They were Amish farmers and the chuck holes would hurt their horses if they stepped in them while plowing. We would usually go on Sundays when the farmers weren’t working their fields.

Then when I turned 12, we started small game and dear hunting. It has probably been about 10 years since we have been out hunting---no where to go now---but I have very fond memories of shooting hunting and fishing with my dad and uncle.

So, what is your story?

(Butler County)

Default Re: First memories of shooting

My dad had me shoot a double barreled 12 gauge with 00buck in it at... maybe 5 or 6. He braced my shoulder so it went back off my shoulder and into my cheek. I didn't care much for shooting for a few years after that. When I was a little older we shot with a 22 and pellet gun while in Spain and it got to be more fun. In my early teens my uncles took me skeet shooting and mixed in 00buck with the birdshot...
    SO, I decided I didn't care much for shooting shotguns family unles I controlled ammo selection etc but I still don't shoot skeet.
    I took my son out at about 7 with a 22-250 and we had a really good time. We spent some time with 22s with the scouts and now he shoots pistol with me so I think we've broken the idiot cycle anyway.
    I'm hoping his memories are much fonder than mine.

Man I'll tell you what I honestly can't remember! It was either my dad or my grandfather. I also remember shooting the the boy scouts (yup I was a scout)

(Somerset County)

1953 , 22 rifle
    Don't blame me ; I voted for an American .

My first shots were taken on my father's .22. An old model 33 Remington I believe.
    He bought it brand new in 1933 when he was 13.
    He taught all of us kids (6 of us) to shoot with that rifle.
    I had the honor of stealing from him the year before he passed away, and re-did the wood, even his hand made checkering, and I had it re-blued for him. It looked like new.
    My fondest memory was watching him look it over after he got it back, and remembering his first look at it when he was 13.
    It was passed onto me when he died, but, since I have noone to pass it to that would appreciate it, I gave it to my younger sister, who passed it to her son, who has passed it to his son. All hunters, all worthy of it's history.
    My first memories of shooting always bring me to my dad, my brothers and sisters, and a tradition of responsible gun ownership and handling.
    Thanks for the wonderful question. (sigh)

(Susquehanna County)

My earliest memories are shooting with my father at a dump. I know I was younger than 5 years old but don't remember exactly. The rifle we used was a Winchester Model 67, which was old at that time. I still have that rifle and it is the same one my kids learned on.

my first gun would have to be a .22 and then a 30-30 when I was about 5 or 6... i do remember when my dad took me hunting with him, i was about 10 so i couldnt hunt, but he let me bring my little bb pistol... the old one that you pull the spring back and push it forward... haha it could hardly bust through cardboard, but I felt so proud to carry a gun in with my dad...
    ΑΣΦ

(Northampton County)

I was 12 and my Dad and brother were going small game hunting. My Dad needed a hunting dog so he took me. Right as we started out my Dad asked me if I wanted to shoot his gun(12ga). Of coarse I said yes and he told me to shoot some walnuts. I take aim and fire and was knocked clean onto my back with the gun still on my shoulder pointing straight up in the air. Good times, good times.
    ““Liberty is the right to choose. Freedom is the result of the right choice.””

-Anonymous

Jeff

(Montgomery County)

Thanks to everyone who has shared their memories. It is kind of what I figured that your fathers took you out to shoot---in my opinion, that’s the way it should be. Dad’s starting their kids shooting and teaching them proper gun safety. It should be a tradition passed down for every family.

Rex--it is a wonder that you still enjoy shooting after your experiences---good for you for still shooting and taking the time to teach your kids the “right way”.

Brick, it is funny that you mention shooting at the dump. My dad would tell me stories of how they (him, brothers, dad) would go to the dump at midnight with flashlights on their .22 and shoot rats when he was a boy. My dad is 61 years old. Boy, the times are much different now when it comes to gun ownership and where and when you can shoot than they were back then. I can only imagine the trouble they would have gotten into today for shooting guns at midnight.

Bama, thanks for sharing---I too get a little choked up thinking about the good times shooting with my dad. That was great that you were able to get his .22 refinished before he passed. My father is still alive and frequently, I thank him for everything he has done for / with me because you never know how much time we have on this earth.

I hope to hear from people that have posted about their families being anti gun. What made you get into shooting if you grew up in a home that didn’t support gun ownership? Also, who helped you learn the basics? Did you take a course or just try it out yourself? When was your first positive memory of shooting?

Merlin .22 rifle with my Dad and my brother. Shooting at beer cans atop our wood pile. I remember a year or so later out shooting my older brother and really ticking him off. A little sis ...HA!!!! Better eye sight and eye/hand co-ordination. I was 12 that year.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast