Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (York County)

Default Other ways to clean brass safe?

I just got a Lee reloading kit and I don't have a tumbler. I have heard that you can just throw your once fired brass into a big bucket of vinegar and it will do the job. I also read online that you can even throw them in the washing machine in a sack with some soap to clean them. Are these alternative methods safe or should I just go out and buy a tumbler? Thought I would ask before I do something stupid.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Other ways to clean brass safe?

Really anything will work, just make sure that it is dry before you load. That's why tumblers work so well. Washing brass anyother way and making sure it's dry is a pain.

My father once ran a bunch of brass through the dishwasher. Cleaned it great, but failed to rinse out all of the detergent from all the cases. It made for some very cool green fireballs shooting out of some of the rounds. Can be a little distracting during a bullseye competition.

Tumbler is worth the investment. You should be able to get a couple of loads though most brass without cleaning it, if you are desperate to load before getting a tumbler.

the gun magiznes usually have 25% off coupon for harbor frieght, they have tumbler for bout 30.00. i ordered my from amazon.

(Somerset County)

You don't have to clean your brass. I reloaded for probably 8-10 years before I got a tumbler. I just used a rag to wipe off the case lube after sizing and went on.

That said, I don't reload for a semi-auto so my brass rarely hits the ground.
    Some rounds while practicing field positions and some while hunting. I pick them up and wipe them on my pant leg.

YMMV

(York County)

Thanks guys. I think I want to clean them just to give me a peace of mind. Also the only dies I have now are for .223 so my brass has been picked up from everywhere imaginable. I'll try soaking a few in vinegar and letting them dry overnight as a starter and see how that goes.

(Cambria County)

Go to your local dollar store and buy a gal of Mean Green for 5.00 and soak your brass for an hour two then rinse good with HOT! water then let dry . Works great for both pre and post sizing and cleans the inside of the case a lot better than a tumbler . Save the MG to use over again until it gets real funky then dump it down the drain , it will clean it too . Vinegar will work too if it's hot and you add the right amount of salt to keep if from eating your brass .
    DAN

Quote Originally Posted by dk99358 View Post
    You don't have to clean your brass. I reloaded for probably 8-10 years before I got a tumbler. I just used a rag to wipe off the case lube after sizing and went on.

YMMV
    I've been reloading for over 30 yrs & just got my first vibratory case cleaner a year ago. Sure makes the brass look nicer.

Then there's this:
    http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=888624

I've never used the stuff, but it gets decent reviews.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

(Montgomery County)

HA, IronButt, thought the same thing.

My father never cleaned brass and was a competition shooter for years. He would only use brass for 3 loads though.

I'm a little more frugal and I do find that is much easier to identify brass that failing once it's bright and shiny. Usually spotting the small tear that starts at the lip.

One more tip...they do dry quicker if you decap the primers first.

(Dauphin County)

I have used 0000 steel wool recently on several small batches (<50) of rifle brass. It is very slow, but shines the outsides nicely.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by notenoughguns View Post
    Go to your local dollar store and buy a gal of Mean Green for 5.00 and soak your brass for an hour two then rinse good with HOT! water then let dry . Works great for both pre and post sizing and cleans the inside of the case a lot better than a tumbler . Save the MG to use over again until it gets real funky then dump it down the drain , it will clean it too . Vinegar will work too if it's hot and you add the right amount of salt to keep if from eating your brass .
    I will try this too. Might also get that cheap kit Iron Butt suggested (not quite sure how to multi quote)

Thanks again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast