Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Nearby Places for Squill Noobs?

'allo all.

So I'm in the process of trying to organize a group of about 4 - 6 people to get some better firearms education and training. We have a broad range of experience from one who owns a pistol they've never shot and hasn't had any prior training, to one who was a high ranking NRA Rifle shooter 8+ years ago and is a bit out of practice. And the rest of us somewhere in between. Ages ranging between 25 and 40.

We're looking for a variety of things right now;

• Basic firearms training class
    • NRA membership info
    • Home safety courses (after the basic classes of course)
    • A nearby range (we're in the Squirrel Hill area) w/ gun rentals (Most of us don't currently own a firearm) to practice at. Preferrably open late, as a lot of us work wierd hours and aren't free until after 8-9pm on any given day.
    • Rifle training classes

And last but not least - people in the area, because we'd like to meet more individuals around here that shoot.

I've been doing a fair bit of research already on the various places around the area, and have even taken the basic NRA safety course up at Anthony Arms about a year ago, which I enjoyed. But I'm looking for a bit more personal info, especially on some of the less commercial organizations in the area, as we'd like to consider actually joining a group, but have no idea who or how.

So, thank you all in advance, and we look forward to talking with you more.

Glade Mill Lake, Cooperstown, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Default Re: Nearby Places for Squill Noobs?

Others will chime in on the training, but I'd be interested in training with youguys.

By posting this you'll increase your group size.

Also, we're having a group shoot on the 11'th. It's a good place to talk/shoot with good people, and maybe pick up some tips to get better.

We always try to make fun, challenging courses of fire to test your abilities and get better.

Maybe not "training" in the formal sense of the word, but it is practice.

Plus it's REALLY FUN!!!

Join us.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/shoots-range-...oove-back.html

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by P-11 shooter View Post
    yep.

come on out and meet some people.

For training go here:
    http://www.fireinstitute.org/

Tony is a member here, great guy, and they hold training at PMSC where the group shoot will be. Which is the club you will wind up joining. From Squirrell Hill to PMSC is ~20-25 minutes.

(Allegheny County)

Welcome to the forum Tempest.

If you want to meet a good group of people, try and meet up with us at one of the group shoots mentioned above. We have them on the second Sunday of every month.

You are a member of the forum, so you've met that requirement. If your friends want to come along, have them sign up as well.
    Pop on over to the group shoot thread and say hello if you do.

Hey, even if you don't currently have a firearm, it's a great way to meet people who are happy to give advice, and show you what they have.
    You won't be the first to attend w/o a firearm, but I guarantee that will change soon thereafter. There seems to be a trend... attend group shoot. Shoot gun that someone offers. Buy gun.

Join us if you can.

Oh, and I second the recommendation for FIRE Inst. Good peoples.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Allegheny County)

Thanks guys, the group shoot sounds like it could be fun. **goes over to group shoot thread and starts making inquiries**

I'm also trying to find more info about the PMSC, but finding the info on there either outdated, or not reliably current, anyone know if there's a better source for info over there?