Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Washington County)

Default .45 ACP / .40 S&W / .357 SIG

I have a question for the ammo afficianados here...

I have done a lot of research in the last few weeks since I bought a couple pistols..

I bought a Glock 21 SF and a Glock 23, and almost immediately I was interested in future purchase of a Glock 32 .357 among others..

In reading about the .357 SIG round, I learned that it was originally designed for Law Enforcement to mimic the performance of a .357 magnum in an semi-auto pistol.

This got me to thinking about the probability that in the future, someone may develop a caliber, such as a .45 ACP, necked down to a .40 S&W and what the performance ramifications might be..

The Glock .45 GAP, just shortened the .45 ACP, but why in the wisdom of the Glock developers did they not consider necking down to a .40 S&W, and leaving the casing the same length as the .45 ACP..? Would you guys think this make sense, or does that potential ballistic performance already exist in another round..?

Dave

(Centre County)

Default Re: .45 ACP / .40 S&W / .357 SIG

Quote Originally Posted by dmcdonnell View Post
    This got me to thinking about the probability that in the future, someone may develop a caliber, such as a .45 ACP, necked down to a .40 S&W and what the performance ramifications might be..
    Dave
    Sorry but you're a little slow here (i mean that in a friendly way)

What you are describing is the .400 Cor-Bon And it is exactly as you described, a 45acp necked down to a 10mm bullet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.400_Corbon (i really dont like wikipedia but it is good for general info)

Performance wise, its somewhere between the .45acp and the 10mm auto.

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Jean-Luc Picard
    Oh yes, thats how it starts. The road from legitimate suspicion to rampant paranoia is very much shorter than we think.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by dmcdonnell View Post
    Someone already did that. The cartridge is called the .400 Cor-Bon and it has ballistics similar to the 10mm.

Dick Casull (of .454 Casull fame) did something similar by necking down a larger case to 9mm. I think he used the .45 ACP, but I'm not 100% sure on that. He called it the .38 Casull. The ballistics are a little better than the .38 Super.

On edit: Damn Ronin, looks like I'm a little slow too. You beat me to it.

(Washington County)

LMAO..!! I guess I should read more.. I have seen the .400 Corbon mentioned and just glossed right over it LOL.. Thats funny... Thanks Guys..

Dave

(Warren County)

I bought a Glock 21 SF and a Glock 23, and almost immediately I was interested in future purchase of a Glock 32 .357 among others..
    Just buy the G32 barrel and drop it in your G23. You can use the .40s&w mags with the 357sig. No need to buy a whole new gun.

In fact, I've bought the lone wolf 40-9 conversion barrel to shoot 9mm from my G23 and have been looking at the G32 barrel also. I can't see spending 500 when you cna spend 100.
    Zone1
    My Glock does 1d6+3 dmg, but my 18 dex makes up for that...

(Washington County)

I agree with that logic, a new aquaintance I met over the net talking about Glocks, said that he does the same thing.. He allowed me to also use some of his Glock photos as wallpapers.. The guy seems to have a real talent fro taking photos of his guns..

Another friend said he just likes to have the guns in the calibers, not that money is no object to him, he just likes to have the guns in each caliber rather than the barrels..

Either way is fine for me..

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by sinful View Post
    Just buy the G32 barrel and drop it in your G23. You can use the .40s&w mags with the 357sig. No need to buy a whole new gun.

In fact, I've bought the lone wolf 40-9 conversion barrel to shoot 9mm from my G23 and have been looking at the G32 barrel also. I can't see spending 500 when you cna spend 100.