Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Should I start buying AR parts?

So after reading the couple of recent posts concerning our governor mandating that ALL AR type rifles in all their forms be registered as pistols do you fine folks of the forum think that it is worthwhile to start buying pistol parts now or wait until/if they are rifles again?

Whadya think? Am I making too big of a deal of it?

Default Re: Should I start buying AR parts?

I've been out of the loop on the whole political aspect for the past 8 or so months, could you elaborate? I don't think its mandated for all ar-15 style rifles to be registered as pistols...yet. To answer your question...you should always buy AR-15 parts, no matter what the politicians are up to.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Official Gun Bully and corn flakes pisser inner since March 2007.

(Allegheny County)

The proposed change would be on all transfers. There is no "registrations" of handguns anyways. There is only the "incomplete database" of purchases. So the proposed change would only effect you if you buy/sell an AR. BTW ... I believe the ATF put out a letter stating something along the lines of an AR rifle is not a pistol and the same applies to the receivers. So I doubt you have anything to worry about in this situation. With all that said, if you think you might want one in the future. Now is the perfect time to start buying.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

(Allegheny County)

Thanks guys for your thoughts. I probably will go ahead anyway. I have to go piece by piece because I will have to buy parts as funds allow. I still have to feed and discharge the other family members.

As to "registrations" I know that there are no "registrations" but anytime the government makes you do things a certain way, on a specific form, at a certain place, to be turned into a particular agency (such as a pistol purchase) then I have a hard time believing that that info just goes away never to be seen again. That's just not the way the gov works. Especially in regards to firearms.

(Columbia County)

Honestly, I think now is about the worst time to stockpile anything gun-related. The prices are so high on most everything, especially ammo. Eventually, the buying frenzy will be over and the prices on everything will come down... That will be the time to start buying. Of course, if Obama and his cronies have their way, there's no telling what would even be available in the future. But, I would still wait on that type thing for the time being. The president has too much on his plate right now to push much anti-gun legislation... for the time being. If he gets a second term and doesn't have to worry about re-election, that may be an entirely different story.

That being said, I still spend way too much of my money on ammo, reloading supplies, guns, etc.... so do as I say, not as I do. Hahaha

(Allegheny County)

Yeah, Max, I know about that. I have an AK and a small stash "stuff" to feed it but I do not own an AR. I had just read a few posts here that have said that in PA all AR type rifles are to now be treated as pistols when purchased. I do want an AR and funds are low so I will have to pick things up pieces parts at a time. I was being a little tounge-in-cheek with my "wasn't in the market for a new pistol right now" comment. Thanks for the advice though and keep on doing instead of saying.

(Montgomery County)

I wouldn't stock pile AR parts. The only prudent move might be to buy a lower for a rainy day.

The "sky is falling, Obama is coming for your children and guns" was in full swing from the fall to the spring, but things are settling down now.

Prices are coming down and availability is going up (well more so for AKs).

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by max384 View Post
    Honestly, I think now is about the worst time to stockpile anything gun-related. The prices are so high on most everything, especially ammo. Eventually, the buying frenzy will be over and the prices on everything will come down... That will be the time to start buying.
    Prices have come down. If you shop around enough, you'll find Colt LEO M4s for around $1200, which about as low as they ever were, if not a little bit lower than before. Some shops haven't "gotten the memo," but there are deals on guns to be had out there.

I'm actually going to gun shows and coming home with stuff, where I used to come home empty handed most of the time because there just weren't any deals.

Ammo prices are still high though. That's true. Until Iraq settles down, and someone brings in bin Laden's head on a platter, that's probably not going to change.
    Removed NRA Life Member pic. LaPierre and Chris Cox are ruining NRA.

(Philadelphia County)

I am a very firm believer of not wasting time with the things I want when I have the money. Every day that you wait to purchase an AR is a day that you wasted not having an AR. If you really think about it, the experience of owning, working on, and shooting an AR is worth the extra dollars, even in high-priced market (which has been stabilizing and falling). With factors like politics involved that may impact the supply added on top....my friend, ANY time is a good time to buy an AR.

Al

Thumbs up Re: Should I start buying AR parts?

Quote Originally Posted by mythaeus View Post
    I am a very firm believer of not wasting time with the things I want when I have the money. Every day that you wait to purchase an AR is a day that you wasted not having an AR. If you really think about it, the experience of owning, working on, and shooting an AR is worth the extra dollars, even in high-priced market (which has been stabilizing and falling). With factors like politics involved that may impact the supply added on top....my friend, ANY time is a good time to buy an AR.

Al
    +1

can't stress that enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Official Gun Bully and corn flakes pisser inner since March 2007.