Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Build Questions

(Berks County)

Default Build Questions

I have two very simple questions that hopefully the gurus here can answer.

I have a lower receiver. Standard AR lower receiver. With that lower receiver, if I wanted to build it as a A.R. pistol, is that legal is there anything I’m not thinking of or anything special I need to consider?

Second question, if I wanted to use that receiver to make a 300 blackout build, is it suitable for that? I know I can put the upper on it with a bolt carrier group and charging handle I would assume but is there anything special about the lower parts kit or lower build kit that I should be buying special?

I know, I am stupid but at least I admit it and admitting it is the first step :-)
    Gunowner99 - NRA Benefactor Life Member

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Build Questions

As long as that lower never existed in rifle form, you can build it as a pistol.

The beauty of virgin stripped lowers is that they can be built into a pistol and then if you want to change it into a rifle, you can. AND you can later change it back into a pistol if you want.

(edited this to clarify) If you build it into a rifle from the start, it's gotta stay a rifle, unless you go the tax stamp/SBR route.

I know very little about 300BLK but I don't think there's any difference in the lowers at all.
    Last edited by Emptymag; September 15th, 2021 at 06:17 PM.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    As long as that lower never existed in rifle form, you can build it as a pistol.

The beauty ove virgin stripped lowers is that they can be built into a pistol and then if you want to change it into a rifle, you can. AND you can later change it back into a pistol if you want.

Once a rifle, it's gotta stay a rifle, unless you go the tax stamp/SBR route.

I know very little about 300BLK but I don't think there's any difference in the lowers at all.
    if it starts life as a rifle it must stay a rifle..

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by JDA58 View Post
    if it starts life as a rifle it must stay a rifle..
    Yes. I was thinking "If you build it from the start as a rifle, it's gotta stay a rifle."

Words mean things. Thanks.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post

The beauty of virgin stripped lowers is that they can be built into a pistol and then if you want to change it into a rifle, you can. AND you can later change it back into a pistol if you want.

(edited this to clarify) If you build it into a rifle from the start, it's gotta stay a rifle, unless you go the tax stamp/SBR route.

There is not any difference in the lowers between 5.56 and 300 BO. The BCG is the same also, the only thing that is different is the barrel it self and the muzzle device.
    We the people love our country so let the government fear us.

(Warren County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunowner99 View Post
    I have two very simple questions that hopefully the gurus here can answer.

I have a lower receiver. Standard AR lower receiver. With that lower receiver, if I wanted to build it as a A.R. pistol, is that legal is there anything I*m not thinking of or anything special I need to consider?

Second question, if I wanted to use that receiver to make a 300 blackout build, is it suitable for that? I know I can put the upper on it with a bolt carrier group and charging handle I would assume but is there anything special about the lower parts kit or lower build kit that I should be buying special?

I know, I am stupid but at least I admit it and admitting it is the first step :-)
    We are all Ignorant about many things, until we relieve that ignorance by learning.

Really stupid people dont try to learn. We call them liberals.

The advice in previous posts is correct.
    American by BIRTH, Infidel by CHOICE

I always read the "As long as it was never a rifle" deal and think that is beyond stupid. If I put whatever upper on whatever lower and shoot it who's going to know? It's not like the lower keeps a record for itself. If I sell it then it's official. If it's recorded somewhere, it's official. Otherwise this is not possible to enforce.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

(Berks County)

I agree.

So, I can just buy any old lower parts kit and put it in and then take a 300 blackout upper and I have what I want?

Thanks everyone for the help!!
    Gunowner99 - NRA Benefactor Life Member

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunowner99 View Post
    ... So, I can just buy any old lower parts kit and put it in and then take a 300 blackout upper and I have what I want?...
    You are correct.

But I would advise getting specific 300 Blackout magazines. You can use 5.56 AR-15 magazines with 300 Blackout ammunition in a rifle chambered in 300 BLK, but magazines designed specifically for 300 Blackout seem to feed more reliabily and if you have other standard AR's makes it easier to not mix them up (which could lead to disasterous results). Or, if using standard AR magazines, do something to them to make them readily identified as 300 BO mags.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Dauphin County)

* A virgin lower can be made into either a rifle or pistol.
    * A virgin or manufactured gun lower made first into a rifle must remain a rifle.
    * A virgin or manufactured gun lower made first into a pistol may later be made into a rifle, and then back into a pistol if desired.
    * A gun owner's best legal position in the ATF / Legislative Tyranny-Crazy Matrix is to Form 1 at least one lower as an SBR in some configuration, and then go nuts with braces.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast