Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Question scope for ruger 10/22 rifle

Hi, probably in the next week or two, I will be buying a ruger 10/22 rifle since it's the best value. I was interested in getting a scope for it. Would it be better for me to buy a rifle with a scope that is already on it? Or would it be better to buy one separately?

(Chester County)

Default Re: scope for ruger 10/22 rifle

I bought a Bushnell at Wallyworld for $65. works for me.
    Μολὼν λάβε

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by PisnNapalm View Post
    Is there anything cheaper than that?

(Dauphin County)

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by PisnNapalm View Post
    I agree. That is what I did.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

I bought a Tasco 3-9x40 at Wal-Mart for $30 for my 10/22. The scope has a yellow cover over the eye piece and a clear cover over the objective. Meaning you can look through it without removing the lens covers, and for a .22 you can see plenty good enough to shoot the 50-100 yards you would typically be shooting at.

I was a little leery about buying a cheap Tasco, but figured "Its Wal-Mart, I can always return it." I have to say I'm impressed with it. Its bright and clear with no visible distortion, and once I got it sighted in it shot exactly where I was pointing the crosshairs. Its actually brighter (less yellow) than the Simmons that came with my Savage.

Now, it may not last as long as a $300 Leupold scope, but its going on a .22, it doesn't have to be super rugged and handle a ton of recoil and abuse.

For 50-100yd target shooting or squirrel hunting, my opinion is the $30 Tasco 3-9x40 scope is a good purchase.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by WVneighbor View Post
    I bought a Tasco 3-9x40 at Wal-Mart for $30 for my 10/22. The scope has a yellow cover over the eye piece and a clear cover over the objective. Meaning you can look through it without removing the lens covers, and for a .22 you can see plenty good enough to shoot the 50-100 yards you would typically be shooting at.

I was a little leery about buying a cheap Tasco, but figured "Its Wal-Mart, I can always return it." I have to say I'm impressed with it. Its bright and clear with no visible distortion, and once I got it sighted in it shot exactly where I was pointing the crosshairs. Its actually brighter (less yellow) than the Simmons that came with my Savage.

Now, it may not last as long as a $300 Leupold scope, but its going on a .22, it doesn't have to be super rugged and handle a ton of recoil and abuse.

For 50-100yd target shooting or squirrel hunting, my opinion is the $30 Tasco 3-9x40 scope is a good purchase.
    Thanks, I'll be sure to check that one out.

(Butler County)

BTW, Dunhams has the 10/22 on sale for $174.99
    I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not sure.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by WVneighbor View Post

I'm pretty sure I bought the same scope from Walmart 2 years ago for my 10/22 also, unless they sell multiple models of $30 3-9x40 Tasco scopes. Mine works fine also, but I did notice one odd thing with it. On mine, removing the lens covers shifts the point of impact. At 50 yards, it makes a 5" or 6" difference, shifted diagonally down and to the right (although I can't remember which of the two POI's was with/without the lens cover). I think I tried rotating the covers to see if the shifted POI rotated with them and found out that it didn't.

It's not that big a deal as long as I'm consistent about zeroing and shooting either with or without the covers in place. But then again, the covers are held on with that elastic cord, which I've seen loose their elasticity and stretch out on another similar setup. That means if my 10/22 is sighted in with those covers and the elastic cord gives out, I will need to either re-zero or find something else to hold the lens covers on.

Of couse, this one anecdote doesn't mean any other $30 Tasco 3-9x40 scopes have the same issue.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue River View Post
    BTW, Dunhams has the 10/22 on sale for $174.99
    I checked their website for the nearest one and it said that the closest one is about 95 miles away from where I live. That is really just too far to go for one rifle. I'll see if Cabelas has them on sale.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast