Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Angry UPS store at 211 South St.

I actually had the police called on me today while trying to drop a few packages off at the UPS store on South St.

The packages were prepaid and labeled and online instructions informed me to take it to the nearest UPS for drop off. So I go to drop off the packages, ask for a receipt, clerk scans all 4 packages, hands me the receipt and as I'm my way out, the nosy owner/boss decides to jump in because he heard/saw it was ammunition in the packages.

I turn around and was promptly greeted by a snide attitude stating "we can't ship that, it's illegal". (all while sitting at a customer computer with a mouth full off food) I informed him that it was not illegal to ship ammunition through private carrier and it was properly labeled with the ORM-D stickers designated for such contents. After being told "If you don't take this, I'll just throw it in the trash". Things got a bit out of hand. I asked him why he was being such an asshole to me as I'm just trying to ship a few PREPAID packages and if it is "the law" I'd like to see it in writing. He informed me that it is a privately owned store and told me to leave his store.

As I was putting the packages back into my truck, I realized that they had been scanned, so if I went to the UPS depot, they may be in the system already. I walked back in and asked if he could remove them and give me a receipt stating they were removed. He snatched the receipt out of my hand and said he could only void and give a handwritten receipt. Now at this point, a customer grabbed a meter maid and asked him to call the police. (for what, I still don't know) The owner now walks outside (with my receipt) and passes waiting for the police. He takes my license plate # and then walks back into the store.

I follow asking for my receipt and he said he wanted to wait for the police. I ask what this has to do with the police and he pulls the "you threatened me" card. I stated "I called you out on being an asshole, but never said anything threatening"

So a police officer arrives, and talks to said shop owner. Then I tell him what happened. He is shocked that you can actually send ammunition "through the mail". Police basically laughed in shop owners face at the fact I supposedly threatened him and that was that. The officer did inform me that it was his store and he could basically do what he wants.

Great start to my day...

I apologize for the long and poorly written account of what happened, but am completely shocked how this all went down.

Default Re: UPS store at 211 South St.

I assume you've contacted UPS and expressed your displeasure. Particularly at having the manager retain control of your receipt, and detain you for the police.

Don't let them get away with saying "he's an independant operator." It's their name on the store, if they let him continue using it they support his actions.
    "Never give up, never surrender!" Commander Peter Quincy Taggart

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by JoeWilliams View Post
    I assume you've contacted UPS and expressed your displeasure. Particularly at having the manager retain control of your receipt, and detain you for the police.

Don't let them get away with saying "he's an independant operator." It's their name on the store, if they let him continue using it they support his actions.
    I plan on calling tomorrow.
    It was the owner of the store that was the problem.

I do find it bullsh*t when a franchise owner decides to make their own rules while reaping the benefits of the company name.

(Northampton County)

If you bitch loud enough to UPS corporate offices, that guy will be in some serious sh*t. Let's hope they have insurance that can remove his head from his ass and his foot from his mouth.

Sorry to burst any misconceptions masquerading as happy little trees, but the store owner was right. Ammunition has to go through an air hub, which means a drive down to UPS on the wrong side of PHL. And UPS Stores are independent operations. What you were asking was distantly akin to going into a local McDonald's franchise and asking to pay to get a case of Happy Meal toys drop-shipped to you from HQ.
    Last edited by King 5.45; May 8th, 2009 at 02:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by King 5.45 View Post
    Sorry to burst any misconceptions masquerading as happy little trees, but the store owner was right. Ammunition has to go through an air hub, which means a drive down to UPS on the wrong side of PHL. And UPS Stores are independent operations. What you were asking was distantly akin to going into a local McDonald's franchise and asking to pay to get a case of Happy Meal toys drop-shipped to you from HQ.
    The store owner said it would be illegal to ship ammunition. As it is not illegal to ship ammunition, and the OP properly labeled the packages according to Title 49 CFR Chapter 1, section 173.63, the store owner was not right. Sorry to burst your misconceptions, but if you read the regulations you will find it was perfectly legal and the store owner is an ignoramus in addition to being an unmitigated asshole.

(Delaware County)

I've gotten many "ground" shipments of ammunition, in properly marked boxes, what you are referring to is how anything classified as a "firearm" is shipped, which has to be "next day air" according to UPS policy, I had to ship my CW9 (via the hub) for repair this way back to Kahr, returned to me via "next day air" as well.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by he11zna View Post
    I actually had the police called on me today while trying to drop a few packages off at the UPS store on South St.

The packages were prepaid and labeled and online instructions informed me to take it to the nearest UPS for drop off. So I go to drop off the packages, ask for a receipt, clerk scans all 4 packages, hands me the receipt and as I'm my way out, the nosy owner/boss decides to jump in because he heard/saw it was ammunition in the packages.

I turn around and was promptly greeted by a snide attitude stating "we can't ship that, it's illegal". (all while sitting at a customer computer with a mouth full off food) I informed him that it was not illegal to ship ammunition through private carrier and it was properly labeled with the ORM-D stickers designated for such contents. After being told "If you don't take this, I'll just throw it in the trash". Things got a bit out of hand. I asked him why he was being such an asshole to me as I'm just trying to ship a few PREPAID packages and if it is "the law" I'd like to see it in writing. He informed me that it is a privately owned store and told me to leave his store.

As I was putting the packages back into my truck, I realized that they had been scanned, so if I went to the UPS depot, they may be in the system already. I walked back in and asked if he could remove them and give me a receipt stating they were removed. He snatched the receipt out of my hand and said he could only void and give a handwritten receipt. Now at this point, a customer grabbed a meter maid and asked him to call the police. (for what, I still don't know) The owner now walks outside (with my receipt) and passes waiting for the police. He takes my license plate # and then walks back into the store.

I follow asking for my receipt and he said he wanted to wait for the police. I ask what this has to do with the police and he pulls the "you threatened me" card. I stated "I called you out on being an asshole, but never said anything threatening"

So a police officer arrives, and talks to said shop owner. Then I tell him what happened. He is shocked that you can actually send ammunition "through the mail". Police basically laughed in shop owners face at the fact I supposedly threatened him and that was that. The officer did inform me that it was his store and he could basically do what he wants.

Great start to my day...

I apologize for the long and poorly written account of what happened, but am completely shocked how this all went down.
    I'll make sure to avoid that store like the plague. Guy sounds like he has a stick up his ass. Luckily the police were in they're right mind and didn't decide to detain you or anything ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by granuale View Post
    The store owner said it would be illegal to ship ammunition. As it is not illegal to ship ammunition, and the OP properly labeled the packages according to Title 49 CFR Chapter 1, section 173.63, the store owner was not right. Sorry to burst your misconceptions, but if you read the regulations you will find it was perfectly legal and the store owner is an ignoramus in addition to being an unmitigated asshole.
    I'm not suggesting that the shop owner was correct in stating that it was illegal to ship ammunition. My UPS driver wishes that it were so, believe me.

What I'm saying is that UPS Stores will not accept firearms or ammunition for shipment, no matter how unpleasant or misinformed the shop owner might have been. As franchisees they would be overstepping the bounds of their agreements with UPS.

Quote Originally Posted by soberbyker View Post
    I've gotten many "ground" shipments of ammunition, in properly marked boxes, what you are referring to is how anything classified as a "firearm" is shipped, which has to be "next day air" according to UPS policy, I had to ship my CW9 (via the hub) for repair this way back to Kahr, returned to me via "next day air" as well.
    The fact that it's an air hub, or called an air hub, has nothing to do with how ammo must be shipped, but only the where, at least here in Philly, as they are UPS. I imagine that you can obviously call tag ammo shipments for package car driver pickup, otherwise businesses that ship ammo all the time would be wearing a rut in 95 to get to the airport. At any rate, if ammo had to go overnight, most of us would have given up shooting and taken up knitting.
    Last edited by King 5.45; May 8th, 2009 at 08:37 AM.

I would bitch to UPS about this store and it's owner relentlessly. Regardless of the legality he should at least have been courteous.
    FUCK BIDEN

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast