Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Lightbulb Need some input on Bersa 9mm

Hello to everyone.
    The wife said dump the .38 I want a 9mm semi auto. She has her eye on the Bersa Thunder highcap.17 round 9mm single/double action. She likes the way it feels and looks. Any help would nice. Is this a good quality gun? Whats the good or bad?

(Perry County)

Default Re: Need some input on Bersa 9mm

I've been looking at these too for myself. Right now I think I am down to being between the Bersa and Kel-tec. I understand they are typically similarly priced, and pretty similar guns, but I have handled the Kel-tec at a local dealer and have a good price on it, but I haven't found anywhere local to handle a Bersa yet.

From what I've seen/read/heard about them, both are pretty decent lower-end carry guns, but probably not the best choice if you're going to be putting 1,000's of rounds through them. Since this is not my intention, I think they should fit my purposes (and likely your wife's as well) pretty well. I'll be looking forward to read more replies on here too, so thanks for posting!

One difference between the Bersa and Kel-tec is that there is no mechanical safety on the Kel-tec, which I'm not crazy about, even though I realize it shouldn't be a problem. This may or may not bother your wife, but if she's ok with it, you might want to check them out as well as a comparison.
    - I support Israel; "If guns kill people my pencil causes bad spelling."

(Bucks County)

I owned one a year or so ago. I bought used from a LEO who practically never shot it. Felt good in my hand, occasionally had a stovepipe, but all in all was good buy at $180. What I didn't like was, towards the end of my time owning it, the guide rod appeared to be knarled at the end like a chewed pencil. It was installed correctly everytime, but it almost seemed like it was plastic! I sold it soon afterward.

(Perry County)

QtownRich, how many rounds would you estimate you put through it before you noticed this wear?
    - I support Israel; "If guns kill people my pencil causes bad spelling."

(Bucks County)

I would say maybe 500-600. I didn't own it long, two months or so. Was a decent hi-cap gun that I would trust in a pinch. Gotta replace that guide rod though with ss or something.

(Monroe County)

Everyone I know who owns a bersa product has had trouble with them.
    They all own 380's, so I'm speaking from that experience, not a 9mm bersa platform. Anyway, they could never go though a single mag without some form of failure. I would never own a bersa.

Some people say, some gun is better than no gun. Of course it is.
    But you have the freedom of choice, to choose another brand gun, that doesnt have a history of failure. Glock, XD, Kimber, S&W, Beretta, SIG.

You asked for input so here is mine, don't buy Bersa, youre trusting your life with it...
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Susquehanna County)

i have yet to have any form of malfunction with my bersa, granted its a .380 but i wouldnt hesitate to buy the 9mm. i have about 1800 rounds through mine, again, without a hitch. i' saving up for the 9mm aswell because it looks and feels good to me, i could've traded up with the .380 and a 75 bucks at a local gunshop, but theres no way i giving up my little .380!!

mikey0086

I have the Bersa .380 and have never had any trouble. I've known and know people that have had the 9MM's, .40 S&W and .45 and have not had trouble once they found the ammo they liked. And some people just don't know how to shoot an auto. The limp wristing will do more than just give you a FTE. Because it does not have the needed support, over time it can affect the gun.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by WVBob View Post
    I have the Bersa .380 and have never had any trouble. I've known and know people that have had the 9MM's, .40 S&W and .45 and have not had trouble once they found the ammo they liked.
    there is the problem. when you're dealing with "picky" guns youre dealing with something that is not reliable. Get a gun that you know can eat any kind of ammo. I've shot nearly just between 1800 and 2000 rounds through my Springfield XD9 Service over the last year, since I bought it, and I have not had a single malfunction. I have shot over a dozen different hollow points and fmj's of different grain and manufacturer.

I feel confident that if something were to happen (SHTF) and I needed to grab up ammo as I went, because I was using it as I moved, I could feed anything into this gun and stay operating.

I am not telling you what brand of gun to buy, this is your decision. I'm just voicing my opinion because in my experience Bersa guns are crap, again and again, and I myself would never rely on one. So I am adamant in letting people know they arent trustworthy.

Just google the bersa model youre looking for and check out all the forums, and threads and posts people have made, you will find more often than not, a bad review.

As I said before, having any gun is better than having no gun. However if that gun youre looking at has a reputation for failure I would recommend investing in a good pair of running shoes before wasting it on a Bersa.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Lehigh County)

I have the keltec PF9 it is good at less than 7 ft, it does have a bite when you shoot it. I still prefer my sig 220 ( I believe that is the number) it is a 380 a superb piece of equipment and CCW's well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast