(York County)

Default Gray targets guns at Capitol session

http://local.lancasteronline.com/4/203448

Gray targets guns at Capitol session
    Addresses state legislators on violence

By P.J. Reilly, Staff
    Intelligencer Journal

Published: Apr 27, 2007 3:11 AM EST

HARRISBURG, Pa. - The names of Brianna Pratt and Tyquan Hall reverberated in the halls of the state Capitol Thursday.

Lancaster Mayor Rick Gray talked about the two city shooting victims as he testified before the House Judiciary Committee during a public hearing on a series of gun-control measures being considered by the state Legislature.

"I'm not in favor of taking guns away from law-abiding people," Gray said. "But there has to be a way reasonable people can agree to infringe on the rights of gun owners to a minimum, while protecting innocent bystanders to a maximum."

Brianna Pratt, 7, was walking with her mother, Latoya Thomas, and two other children on West Andrew Street Jan. 4 when gang members feuding over drug turf began shooting at one another.

As Brianna ran to get away from the gunfire, she was shot near the intersection of West Andrew and Beaver streets.

The bullet shattered one of Brianna's ribs before piercing her heart and a lung. She was released from Hershey Medical Center Feb. 22.

Hall, 19, was shot in the back just before midnight March 9 during a fight between several people at a house party in the 300 block of South Prince Street.

When police responded to the gunfire, investigators found Hall dead on the sidewalk.

Two other city teenagers — an 18-year-old and a 19-year-old — also were shot during the dispute, police said.

"People say that if we have gun control, people would just kill each other with something else," Gray said. "But if those guys who were fighting on South Prince Street were using baseball bats, Ty Hall wouldn't have died from a gunshot to the back."

Speaking on behalf of the Pennsylvania League of Cities and Municipalities, Gray testified before the House Judiciary Committee, speaking in favor of a series of gun-control measures, including limiting handgun purchases to one per month and requiring the reporting of lost or stolen guns within 24 hours.

"These are modest control measures," Gray said. "What they're aimed at doing is keeping people who are allowed to buy guns from buying them and then selling them to people who aren't allowed to buy guns."

Gray said he believes there "has to be some middle ground" between the people opposed to any kind of limitations on owning firearms and people who think no one should be allowed to have them.

While he supports the gun-control measures he testified about Thursday, Gray said he's opposed to the highly controversial House Bill 760, which would require gun owners to register every one of their firearms with the state every year and pay a $10 registration fee per year, per gun.

"I don't think that's necessary," he said.

State Rep. Katie True of East Hempfield Township is a member of the House Judiciary Committee, but she missed Thursday's hearing on the gun-control measures because she was attending another meeting.

True said she "understands where Mayor Gray is coming from," but she doesn't think any of the gun-control measures before the Legislature have "any chance of even making it out of committee."

E-mail: preilly@lnpnews.com

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Gray targets guns at Capitol session

I have the hearing on tape starting with Ricks testimony.
    The woman from ceasefire PA was for all the gun control laws that can be made.
    Almost everyone who testified made mention of the banner.
    http://www.slcfsa.com/index.html
    http://www.pafoa.org/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1130&dateline=1165613  693Remember...Terrorist are attacking Civilians; Not the Government. Protect Yourself!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by rev214 View Post
    "But there has to be a way reasonable people can agree to infringe on the rights of gun owners to a minimum,
    at least they are finally admitting that gun control is a violation of the 2nd amendment.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRedToyota View Post
    at least they are finally admitting that gun control is a violation of the 2nd amendment.
    Even better, I like how he's claiming that there must be a way to come up with a compromise on the violation of our rights that's agreeable to everyone. NO violation of my rights is acceptable.
    Last edited by ChamberedRound; April 27th, 2007 at 02:14 PM.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRedToyota View Post

LRT,
    I was going to quote that exact same line!

I stopped reading right then and there as it says all there is to know about the about Gray.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Erie County)

Well I mean we need more guns laws. Obviously the drug dealers were legally possessing those firearms lol.

Gray targets guns at Capitol session
    Addresses state legislators on violence

By P.J. Reilly, Staff
    Intelligencer Journal
    Published: Apr 27, 2007 3:11 AM EST
    Lancaster Mayor Rick Gray:
    "People say that if we have gun control, people would just kill each other with something else," Gray said. "But if those guys who were fighting on South Prince Street were using baseball bats, Ty Hall wouldn't have died from a gunshot to the back."

Actually I never say that. If I can’t defend myself you can bet your ass that this shooting still would have occurred. Exactly how does gun control equal no gun shootings. Oh yeah they need all the guns!
    FUCK BIDEN

(Lebanon County)

Lancaster Mayor Rick Gray:

He would have died from a smashed in skull. Wouldn't make him any less dead, would it?

(Chester County)

They are running scared! They have seen grass roots at its best. They mention the banner cause they want to makes waves but they are really afraid of loosing their seats.

Let them run like the little girls they are. They have pissed their pants and we all know it.

A little word to the idiot legislators who want crime to go away. When a law is broken put the bad guys in jail and keep them there. Tell the cops to be pro active. Get rid of the corruption in philly. This list can go on and on. The problem is not guns, it is a broken legal system.

They all campaign like they are the savior of the world but they cant even balance a check book.