Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Franklin County)

Default Regulating comerce

Something isn't adding up here. I'm hoping all you guys can help me.

I got into a debate with a liberal on another forum about interstate commerce, and something doesn't add up. I asked him to cite me where in the constitution it says government can regulate, take over and tax businesses to death. His reply:

You are correct that it does not give the president the power to rescue business but it does give this power to the congress. Section 8 USA constitution,"To regulate commerce with foreign nations and among the several states". "To make all laws which shall be necessary and proper for carrying into execution the foregoing powers, and all other powers vested by this constitution in the government of the United States,or in any department or officer thereof.

Now that I have shown you. Do you accept that the government can Regulate commerce or do you want a new amendment?
    I really find it hard to believe the founders meant that to mean government can control private business and trade... there had to be another meaning to it, but I'm not sure what it is.

Default Re: Regulating comerce

IANAL but My interpretation of there intent was due to varying currency's different states issued and to enable free trade between the states, not to regulate/tax interstate sales.

Federal Government, 1887 - The First Cleveland Administration

During the 1870s, many Americans (particularly farmers) began to resent the apparent stranglehold the railroads exerted over many parts of the country. However, the postwar presidents and many in Congress resisted intervention in economic matters.

Early efforts to bring some form of regulation to the giants were made at the state level, but those measures were later struck down by the U.S. Supreme Court.

In 1887, Congress passed the Interstate Commerce Act which created the Interstate Commerce Commission, the first true federal regulatory agency. It was designed to address the issues of railroad abuse and discrimination and required the following:

* Shipping rates had to be "reasonable and just"
    * Rates had to be published
    * Secret rebates were outlawed
    * Price discrimination against small markets was made illegal.

Although the law granted the Commission power to investigate abuses and summon witnesses, it lacked the resources to accomplish its lofty goals. Later presidents would assure that reform would not go too far, by appointing pro-railroad commissioners.
    Last edited by MrBi11; June 10th, 2009 at 09:51 PM.

If God didn't intend us to have guns why would he have given us a trigger finger?

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Regulating comerce

Let this guy know that there is no "section 8" in the cUS Constitution.
    There is on the other hand Title I Section VIII.
    And although there is the interstate comerce clause in Title I Section VIII, it is in reference of the regulation of commerce between the states to prevent the states from going to war with each other over taxes and tarrifs between the states.
    There is nothing in Title I Section VIII that gives the Federal Gubbermint any authority to take over the operations of any business.
    If you need to reference the US Constitution here it is in its entirety...
    http://www.law.cornell.edu/constitut....html#articlei