Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: The Wall.

(Somerset County)

Default The Wall.

In the shutterbug's thread, there is a few photos of a truck, airbrushed with the Vietnam Memorial Wall on it.

Several years ago, I had the honor of visiting the Wall. A neighbor of mine is on that Wall. I only know Gordy from the POV of a kid, and this was my friend's Big Brother who was in the Army.
    However, I did get to know Gordy enough to realize what he actually was, and to call him by his first name. He had a killer Boss 302 Mustang, and was just about a big as John Wayne in the flesh.

I remember the day, the Army officers told his mother that he was gone. The funeral procession came right past my house. His grave is visable from my front yard. He was gone.
    I looked in the registry of names, where they were located on the Wall, and found him. Yes, I felt like he was there, over 150 miles from his home forever.

I was only a kid, when the Vietnam war was going on. Dad, an Air Force veteran, the son of a World War One vet, and brother of WWII Korea, and Vietnam vets had nothing good to say about the protestors, the draft dodgers, and his worse comments were reserved for college students who destroyed their campuses because of the war.

This made an impression, on a kid. So much so, that when I was able, I joined the Army. Served with, and was trained by Vietnam vets. Their attitude was "Never Again."

I have that tracing of Gordy's name. There are even a few drop marks on the paper. My tears for a Kid's Hero.
    This space open for sponsorship

Default Re: The Wall.

Glad you got to visit the Wall I'd love to one day, maybe this summer I'll take a drive down.

Thank you for your service
    "See, this side is well roasted; turn me on the other and eat." St. Lawrence

(Westmoreland County)

I have nothing but respect for the men and women who served in Vietnam. To fight for their country and then return to an ungrateful nation is just wrong!

BTW...this is one of my favorite paintings! (Sorry for the large image...I didn't want to loose detail by resizing)

(Montgomery County)

This stuff makes me mad. I was at the Vietnam Wall when I was younger, my parents took me to DC when I was like 6 or 7. I thought it was cool and a neat thing, but I just didn't understand then how important it was and didn't appreciate it as much as it should be.

I would like to go back and truely look at it now that I am old enough to understand what sacrifice means.

Thank you everyone who has ever served under our flag.

(Lehigh County)

Well guys, if you are planning to visit The Wall sometime, for the first time, this Veterans Day marks the 25th year of The Wall. It should be an amazing day.
    Veritas Vos Liberat