Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default budget deer/target rifle?

Hey guys,

I decided that after selling my 700 SPS tactical last year and not hunting this year....it was time for me too look at buying another rifle. This time I want to serve a dual purpose with my rifle (hunt and target shoot....hunting mainly around 100 yards, target shooting to 200-300 depending on the range).

I want something lighter than my bull barrel SPS tactical (I had no desire to hunt with it with how heavy it was), yet still able to punch paper accurately.

I'm looking to do more of a budget build with this (mainly to please the wife, partially because I can't justify buying a 1000+ dollar rifle and getting a 500+ dollar scope on it).

I prefer synthetic stocks...just becuase I don't feel bad if they scuff and wear and all that from hunting.

Now, here's what I'm looking at:

-Ruger American
    -Marlin XS7
    -Savage Axis

-Weatherby Vanguard 2
    -T/C Venture
    -Howa 1500

-Tikka T3 Lite
    -Remington 700
    -Savage 111

I grouped them by price categories. I was originally thinking the American/Axis/X7 area, but think I want a little bit better quality.

So I've been looking at either .308 or .270 rifles. I hear the trigger is excellent on the Vanguard series 2. But the Tikka T3 has an insanely smooth action. Then you have the accu-stock and accu-trigger Savage. A cheaper Tikka in the Howa 1500. A smooth action and 60*bolt in the Venture.

Before I try to handle all of them in one gun shop on the same day, I was wondering if anyone went through a similar situation and could give me options as to what's maybe ahead of the pack in the same or similar price range?

I'm really leaning toward the Vanguard 2 or the Tikka, but would like to hear feedback on anyone of those listed that you may have shot (good and especially the bad, since that's usually never listed in sponsered reviews).

Thanks!

(Monroe County)

Default Re: budget deer/target rifle?

Dave Petzal in Field & Stream(Dec 2012-Jan) recently tested and reviewed, under $500 msrp bolt guns, The Marlin and Ruger did especially well.

Working within a budget, I would look to spend a little less on the rifle so I could purchase a great scope and mounts.

YMMV

I would also go with the Vanguard and a Centerpoint 4X16-50. Hard to beat that combination with the money involved.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(York County)

Bought a stainless marlin x7 last year. Out of the box, fist two shots hit a dime at 100 yards. I am a complete rookie, using the cheapest stuff for sale. Can't vouch for longevity or dropping it in a bucket of saltwater, but for periodic entertainment or hunting I really can't imagine a better gun

(Washington County)

I would recommend the ruger American.

I bought one right before deer season this year and topped it with a leupold scope. The rifle shoots very nice. The trigger is adjustable and actually pretty nice.
    FOAC Member, NRA Member

(Somerset County)

I have a Tikka in SS/syn (7mm-08). It has a great trigger right out of the box and is darn accurate. The first powder/bullet combo I tried for deer hunting (140 gr) puts 3 shots into about 0.9 inches. I also worked up a load with 100 gr HP for groundhogs. That will do 0.6 inches for 3@100. And has done it consistently for 4 year now. I could probably find a better load for deer but why bother?

I was looking for a crappy weather rifle, I chose the Tikka over the Savage and the Howa (which is the same as the Vanguard not the Tikka).

I didn't look at the Marlin etc. I have heard, but cannot verify that Remington's quality control on the Marlin has really slipped recently. They used to shoot great, now its a crap shoot what you get.

Also have heard the Axis shoots good but the trigger leaves a bit to be desired. There is an aftermarket trigger available.

FWIW,

Dale

(Westmoreland County)

The accutrigger on my Savage 22/250 a real plus shooting prairie dogs last June in Wyoming at 250/450 yards.

(Luzerne County)

When I had my gun shop in Hardy County, WV, I sold a good number of Savage rifles and never received a single complaint regarding them, but did hear a lot of positive feedback.

If you're on a budget, I think Savage makes a fine rifle at a great price.
    Steve: NJ State Trooper #3936 (retired), NRA LE Firearms Instructor

(Delaware County)

Look at savage. They will fit the bill nicely

(Delaware County)

Also Stevens who is basically a savage.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast