Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Wayne County)

Default Shooting AR15 in heavy rain.

I'm planning to goto the outdoor range this weekend, but the forecast says heavy rain and snow.

What's the best way to clean your AR rifle with free float handguard after shooting in heavy rain/snow?
    Is it necessary to remove the handguard and dry barrel underneath?

(Erie County)

Default Re: Shooting AR15 in heavy rain.

Remove the upper from the lower, pull the BCG and charging handle and hose all of them down with WD-40 and hang the upper barrel facing down and let it drip for a bit. Then blow it off with compressed air, spray it down with your favorite gun cleaner. Clean and lube the BCG and charging handle and reassemble the upper.
    We the people love our country so let the government fear us.

(York County)

Tumble dry, low heat. Toss in a few rags so the wife doesn't hear it banging around in the drier.

JK; WD40 as chp1911 suggested. Some people say WD stands for "Water Displacement". They may be right.
    Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Jhaydeno View Post
    Tumble dry, low heat. Toss in a few rags so the wife doesn't hear it banging around in the drier.

JK; WD40 as chp1911 suggested. Some people say WD stands for "Water Displacement". They may be right.
    Don't forget the CLP dryer sheet.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

(York County)

Its not "some people say". It is the correct answer.

It was thr 40th attempted formula to keep water from penetrating whatever they were trying to keep from rusting. The previous 39 were ineffective.

And the name WD 40 was just catchy enough to stick.

As for the gun..... remember to oil the bloody hell out ofnit BEFORE the range. Run it wet. The more oil it on it, the less water will reach steel while you're out there.

(Susquehanna County)

HMMMM - Some newer dryers come with a deck that fits inside the drum. Deck stays stationary while drum rotates. Supposed to be for drying sneakers but it should work for gun parts too.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Allegheny County)

Along with the many replies here, I take a hair dryer to hunting camp and have one near my gun cleaning stuff. Since I no longer have hair, it's a natural transition to use it for gun drying.

I open the action or field strip a firearm, liberally spray WD40 into everywhere, drip as suggested and run the hair dryer on all metal parts.
    I tried that dryer thing when my wife wasnt home. I think the oily residue on her underwear was the proverbial straw. JK.
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

This ^^^

LOL

(Bucks County)

Put it in the oven for 10 min at 200 degrees, or until the plastic is tender.
    Accuse your enemy of what you are doing as you are doing it to create confusion -Karl Marx

Quote Originally Posted by chp1911 View Post
    Remove the upper from the lower, pull the BCG and charging handle and hose all of them down with WD-40 and hang the upper barrel facing down and let it drip for a bit. Then blow it off with compressed air, spray it down with your favorite gun cleaner. Clean and lube the BCG and charging handle and reassemble the upper.
    Air Blaster and WD !

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast