Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default How did you get into guns and what was your first gun

I know these questions probably been asked alot, but I couldnt find this answered via search so im asking now.

I became interested in guns because one I live in philadelphia and I hear of so many things happening around my neighborhood (i.e a violent house invasion a block away) that i felt the need to protect my family and my house. Also it seems like a good hobby and stress reliever to go to the range.

As far as the first gun im going to get.... well i dont know. Ill be listening to see what your responses are to hopefully help me out.

One more question haha... since this being my first gun is it worth the money to take classes or to learn from other people and from taking your time.

Thanks,

Julius

Default Re: How did you get into guns and what was your first gun

i got into guns while i was doing security at a local night club here in lancaster. I found it intreging to find out that 11 of the 14 guys working had their LTCF. at that point in time, I wasn't really into firearms, but jumped at the invite to go shooting with a few of them.

After that I was hooked and went out and purchased a used S&W 857 45acp, got my LTCF read up on the do's and don'ts and been happy ever since. I just wish i kept that S&W, I got rid of it because I thought it was hard to conceal because of it's size.

(Dauphin County)

Went shooting with my wife uncle about 24 years ago, shot his Browning hi-power 9mm...
    Have a blast, love it... That same year wife got me a Colt Gold Cup, she paid $525 for it... I still have it...

Quote Originally Posted by nextgenjewelz View Post
    I know these questions probably been asked alot, but I couldnt find this answered via search so im asking now.
    It has been, but it's a good question to ask!

One more question haha... since this being my first gun is it worth the money to take classes or to learn from other people and from taking your time.
    In my opinion, you should start with a gun safety class first, then consider guns to purchase. There are a few different safety classes out there, but I'd highly recommend the NRA Basic Pistol Safety class. You'll learn the anatomy of a gun, the Four Safety Rules, and the right way to handle a gun when shooting at a range. You'll also fire a few different types of guns. In the class I attended some time ago, we tried a small caliber pistol to get used to the feel (Ruger Mark III .22LR), then a larger revolver (S&W .38SPL), and finally, a semi-automatic pistol (Glock 19 9MM).

As far as what gun to get, there are many, many considerations here. The chief amongst them is:

0. Fit -- Guns are like shoes: You need a model that both fits you well and matches the purpose you intend to use it for. Hiking the Appalachians in flip-flops won't work very well. Running a marathon in hiking boots is a bad idea. You can do these things, but you'd probably choose not to.

Secondary but still very important factors include:
    1. Purpose -- range, self defense inside the home, concealed carry, etc.
    2. Ammunition -- caliber and type (one of the "tastes great, less filling!" arguments of the gun world)
    3. Price -- you can spend between $350 and $3000 (or more!) on a new pistol, depending on what you're looking for and what your intended use is. There are many, many pistols in the $350 to $1000 range.
    4. Other -- You may find there are other things that are important to you (aftermarket support, customizability, etc). It's your gun, it's your choice.

Still, take the class first, and don't be afraid to ask questions. Many ranges will rent you guns (particularly once you've taken a safety class). Try as many as you can, trying to narrow down a caliber you think will work for you. Then try to narrow down the gun you want to use to discharge that round. Once you've settled on a particular gun, try larger and smaller variants of it to see what feels best to you.

By "larger" and "smaller", I mean larger and smaller calibers. For example, Glocks are more or less interchangeable in terms of the way they fit your hand. All of their models use the same basic frame, so one Glock more or less feels the same as another. However, some models shoot 9mm, some 357, some 40, 45, etc. So, if you decide, for example, that you like a Glock, try some different calibers to find one that works for you. The same can be said of, say, Springfield Armory's XD line. I'm sure there are others, as well (folks, chime in here!).

This is a good start. I hope this helps!

(Schuylkill County)

My first gun was a Smith & Wesson .22 revolver. I still have it (Actually, I shot with it today).
    It was right after Clinton was elected the first time (1992) and I thought I should arm myself before New Jersey took away all my rights.

(Allegheny County)

Cub Scouts

then it followed me through to boy scouts and the first firearm i purchased was a S&W M&P 9mm when i was old enough

Dad had an old .22 rifle and took me out with it a few times. I moved to Miami when I was 21 and discovered pawnshops and the Everglades. A perfect blend for someone interested in guns. Got my first .22 pistol and it just went from there. I still own the Ruger and now have inherited Dad's old Winchester 62. I use both to teach my own kids and newbies. Started carrying sporadically in Florida, in more earnest back here in PA about 11 years ago.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by FNG19 View Post
    It has been, but it's a good question to ask!

In my opinion, you should start with a gun safety class first, then consider guns to purchase. There are a few different safety classes out there, but I'd highly recommend the NRA Basic Pistol Safety class. You'll learn the anatomy of a gun, the Four Safety Rules, and the right way to handle a gun when shooting at a range. You'll also fire a few different types of guns. In the class I attended some time ago, we tried a small caliber pistol to get used to the feel (Ruger Mark III .22LR), then a larger revolver (S&W .38SPL), and finally, a semi-automatic pistol (Glock 19 9MM).

As far as what gun to get, there are many, many considerations here. The chief amongst them is:

0. Fit -- Guns are like shoes: You need a model that both fits you well and matches the purpose you intend to use it for. Hiking the Appalachians in flip-flops won't work very well. Running a marathon in hiking boots is a bad idea. You can do these things, but you'd probably choose not to.

Secondary but still very important factors include:
    1. Purpose -- range, self defense inside the home, concealed carry, etc.
    2. Ammunition -- caliber and type (one of the "tastes great, less filling!" arguments of the gun world)
    3. Price -- you can spend between $350 and $3000 (or more!) on a new pistol, depending on what you're looking for and what your intended use is. There are many, many pistols in the $350 to $1000 range.
    4. Other -- You may find there are other things that are important to you (aftermarket support, customizability, etc). It's your gun, it's your choice.

Still, take the class first, and don't be afraid to ask questions. Many ranges will rent you guns (particularly once you've taken a safety class). Try as many as you can, trying to narrow down a caliber you think will work for you. Then try to narrow down the gun you want to use to discharge that round. Once you've settled on a particular gun, try larger and smaller variants of it to see what feels best to you.

By "larger" and "smaller", I mean larger and smaller calibers. For example, Glocks are more or less interchangeable in terms of the way they fit your hand. All of their models use the same basic frame, so one Glock more or less feels the same as another. However, some models shoot 9mm, some 357, some 40, 45, etc. So, if you decide, for example, that you like a Glock, try some different calibers to find one that works for you. The same can be said of, say, Springfield Armory's XD line. I'm sure there are others, as well (folks, chime in here!).

This is a good start. I hope this helps!

Thank you everyone for your answers..... this might be harder than what i anticipated.. I will definitely look up that class though. Especially since its something that will take my mind off of waiting for my LTCF. Hope its some classes in the philly area.. Thanks again fng19

(Delaware County)

I begged and pleaded with my dad to buy me a 22 rifle. He finally did, and he got himself one to. He had a pump and I the bolt. We shot the heck out of them. We would ride to Kmart to buy bricks of ammo when they went on sale.
    Then I got lucky to get a job at a local gun store, Edelmans, in Newtown Square shopping center. I carried a model 36 Smith and Wesson then. I loved it. We shot everyday somewhere, mostly for free. I added to my collection along the way, but I still miss the days of sitting for hours and plinking and talking with my Dad.
    NRA Training Counselor, Chief Range Safety Officer, NRA Benefactor Member

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by ErSwnn View Post
    Dad had an old .22 rifle and took me out with it a few times. I moved to Miami when I was 21 and discovered pawnshops and the Everglades. A perfect blend for someone interested in guns. Got my first .22 pistol and it just went from there. I still own the Ruger and now have inherited Dad's old Winchester 62. I use both to teach my own kids and newbies. Started carrying sporadically in Florida, in more earnest back here in PA about 11 years ago.
    where in the everglades? im from south miami and dad and i used to go out to a corn field off of krome and 137th ave and shoot bottles off of an old abandoned car under a railroad track.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast