Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Washington County)

Default Want my own FFL how hard is it?

Okay so i want my own FFL just for buying my own guns i have no interest in selling or opening up a business. I have read some websites that say the AFT requires that i have a room just for my gun and safes for them i already have that. It also says a ton of stuff that i must have to open a business My question is am i the only one who just wants it for them self i can't be.

Has anyone been through the process ?

(Berks County)

Default Re: Want my own FFL how hard is it?

You cannot obtain an FFL unless you intend to make a profit. You cannot obtain an FFL to merely enhance your collection
    Joshua Prince, Esq. - Firearms Industry Consulting Group - www.PaFirearmsLawyer.com

(Washington County)

thank you i did not know that

However, a Curio & Relic license may be an option. See if C&R guns interest you. (list)
    Gloria: "65 percent of the people murdered in the last 10 years were killed by hand guns"
    Archie Bunker: "would it make you feel better, little girl, if they was pushed outta windows?"

http://www.moviewavs.com/TV_Shows/Al...he_Family.html

(Chester County)

I had an FFL for about 10 years and then Clinton was elected president. I did make a profit (very small) but primarily used it for my own purchases. When I applied for the FFL I was interviewed over the phone by BATF and told them exactly what was going on - low volume, by appointment only, based out of an apartment. Was approved over the phone and went on buying cheap for many years.

After Clinton's election they tightened up on licensing. One of the changes made was that ATF check to make sure I was 'legal' in the state and municipality you were doing business in. I was legal in the Commonwealth - paid whatever sales taxes and had a State Police license, but then BATF called the zoning office in my town and asked if I could run a retail business out of a house. The answer was no so they said they would not be renewing my license.

Bottom line, be sure you can do business where you get your license. I am sure this ATF is worse then Clinton's.
    Last edited by mbinpa; July 30th, 2012 at 08:51 PM.

(Chester County)

Here's a Shotgun News article that I did, for what a Curio & Relics FFL is (this does not make you a dealer) and how to get one.

This might be what you might want if collecting firearms.

http://www.rangingthoughts.org/post/...elics-FFL.aspx

Bill

(Chester County)

Thumbs up Re: Want my own FFL how hard is it?

I have my C&R. I like to collect old military rifles. It saves me some money; so its great for that. However, C&R license does not give you the right to sell guns to another person. Im hoping the C&R license will be a stepping stone to getting my FFL in the future. I am waiting until after the elections, because if numb nutz gets re-elected then applying for my FFL would be a waste of time. Good luck whatever you decide.....

(Centre County)

You cannot get an 01 FFL just to buy guns for yourself. The 03 C&R license is good if you collect C&R type guns but doesn't do you any good when buying modern firearms.

As said, the BATFE now conducts person to person interviews and wants to know if you meet all the state laws and especially the local ordinances. If you don't,they willl not issue the license. Although they would like to see a store front operation, they will allow a home based business if you meet all the criteria.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Elk County)

Curio and Relic also can get you some nice discounts on ammo, reloading supplies, gun parts, etc. Most good gunshops don't make much on the gun itself, but they do on ammo and accessories. Good prices on guns get people in the door.