Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Taurus Tracker vs. S&W 686

Ok, so I have been having a really hard time deciding on my first wheelgun. Originally I wanted a raging bull, but they are just too expensive to shoot (44 mag=pricey). So I have narrowed my choices down to the Taurus 627 Tracker and the S&W 686. I definately prefer the looks of the Tracker. Smith & Wesson guns all look very plain to me. However, I obviously want an accurate gun. I have been told that Smith & Wesson would be more accurate, but how much so? I have a feeling that at 25 yards, they will perform pretty much the same. My guess is that both guns are more accurate than a shooter can be? Am I right to think this, or am I gonna buy a taurus and miss the target by a foot? If the difference is negligible, I will definately go with taurus.

Also, how hard would it be to find a 7 shot speed loader? I have a feeling it wouldn't be too easy. Can you replace the cylinder with a 6 round one? Thanks for any information and comments.

(Centre County)

Default Re: Taurus Tracker vs. S&W 686

Smith&Wesson ftw. Hands down.
    Now Tracker is an excellent weapon no question. But when it comes ease of staging, you just can't beat the S&W DA trigger.
    Accurate, and dependable, and S&W will hold resale value alot longer(if you care about that).
    They are both stainless, both are 7 shots(although some S&W 686 are 6shots). speedloader is not hard to find. You should be able to find it in any gunshop. I'd recommend push knob type instead of twist time. bit tricky to use. One notible thing about taurus 627 is that you can get them in total titanium.

What barrel length 686 you looking at? 6", and 8 3/8" barrel would make an excellent target gun(and with added weight, easier to manage as well), and 2 1/2" and 4" barrel would make great carry gun(bit on heavy side however).

Basicaly the any 600 series Smith & Wesson revolvers are very reliable & dependable firearms, with a remarkable accuracy superior to most other handguns. They are tough and stand up with duty and sporting use.
    Taurus is reputable manufacture, and in 1970, the Bangor Punta Corporation, then the parent company of Smith & Wesson, purchased 54 percent of Forjas Taurus, allowing the two firearms manufacturers to easily share information regarding design and manufacturing. eventho in 1977, Taurus was purchased from Bangor Punta by its current owners, and its ties to Smith & Wesson were severed, knowlege gained then still live on.

Either way, your getting excellent firearm. I just perfer S&W over Taurus little more. thats all
    Last edited by Mity2; November 17th, 2007 at 02:49 PM.
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(Chester County)

Great post, Mity2. Agreed 100%.
    The material presented herein is for informational purposes only, is not guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up to date, does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT act or rely on any information in this post or e-mail without seeking the advice of an attorney YOU have retained.

In plain English, while I am an attorney, I'm NOT your attorney, and I'm NOT giving you legal advice.

(Dauphin County)

My vote is for the Smith & Wesson 686-4...

(Bedford County)

+1 for the S&W.

Mity2 was spot on. I'll take the American made S&W every time.

(Delaware County)

I gotta agree with what the guys have said. But to answer a little more

I obviously want an accurate gun... . The difference will be in the action of the gun. With a Taurus the way it is new is it unless you spend $150 for an action job and parts by someone who knows that product. The S & W will clean up over time/with usage but you would be better served by an action job from a "revolversmith". Both guns with decent ammo will be accurate. You will be more consistent with the S & W. BUt buy the gun that feels better in your hand, try to rent one of each before you buy and shoot .38s and .357 from each

Also, how hard would it be to find a 7 shot speed loader? Speedloaders and clips abound. It would take a search but you will find what you want, look at the IPSC and IDPA sites for the sales teams

I have a feeling it wouldn't be too easy. Can you replace the cylinder with a 6 round one? Thanks for any information and comments. No reason to replace cylinders unless you want to change things around. There were companies that made conversions on "N" frame S & W guns to make them from .357/6 shot to .38/8 shot or .32/9 shot. It really depends on your wallet.

Best regards,
    chalmitch
    "If you believe the term "militia" means the National Guard then you must believe that freedom of speech is reserved for the Government Printing Office." - Some guy, 2/2007

(Delaware County)

I'd also go with S&W..in fact, I did. American made and lifetime guarantee.

(Lehigh County)

Owning both in the 4" barrel configuration, I can tell you that the quality of workmanship between the Tracker and my 686+ is like day and night.

(York County)

The Tracker is more gun for less money.
    I've shot both and the Tracker is definetly a better quality handgun.

At one time, S&W made great guns...no more, I'm afraid. Good guns...yes...but no better then Taurus nowadays.

So, the Tracker in stainless is the better buy. But, handle or try both and make your own decision.

(Centre County)

While I love S&W wheel gun, I must say that I do not care for some the new changes they've made this past several years, like internal key lock and a two-piece barrel/shroud system. But they don't use that on 686 do they?
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast