Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Talking AMMO GOING BAD AFTER A PEROID OF TIME????

Hey guy’s I was wondering if bullets can go bad after a long period of time? I garry a GLOCK19 and I was wondering how long will the ammo that I use in it be good for? Like after a certain period of time should I “shoot” my carry ammo at the range and get new ones just to keep em fresh or what? Someone said tap the bullets on something to break and mix the primer or something? OK FOR EXAMPLE!!

(I CARRY Speer gold dot in my concealed carry gun. Each morning I leave I load then come home and unload and so on day in and day out. If say 8 months from now I’m robbed at knife point and I feel as though I need to defend myself and I shoot the bad guy will the bullets still fire?

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: AMMO GOING BAD AFTER A PEROID OF TIME????

Time isn't the issue. Moisture is.

Considering that people regularly shoot surplus ammo from WWII, I'm gonna say you'll be good to go eight months from now.

I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Butler County)

Leave your gun loaded though... if you continually rack the slide to load the same cartridge over time, you can set back the bullet in the case, causing higher pressures.

If you have a set of calipers you could periodically measure the rounds against new ones to make sure setback hasn't occurred.

So don't load the same cartridge into the chamber over and over again.

(Snyder County)

But how do you know you are going to be able to hit what you are shooting at? Do you practice? Are you going to practice between now and 8 months from now?

You best bet for all around is not let the ammo get old. I try to practice at least once a month. If I have time, I stop at the range once a week and blow through a mag or two. But at minimum, once a month. This keeps my ammo fresh, makes sure everything is functioning correctly, and and keeps my practice and senses keen to make sure I can hit what I am shooting at.

My advice, you need to practice more, then this won't be an issue.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Zef_66 View Post
    But how do you know you are going to be able to hit what you are shooting at? Do you practice? Are you going to practice between now and 8 months from now?

You best bet for all around is not let the ammo get old. I try to practice at least once a month. If I have time, I stop at the range once a week and blow through a mag or two. But at minimum, once a month. This keeps my ammo fresh, makes sure everything is functioning correctly, and and keeps my practice and senses keen to make sure I can hit what I am shooting at.

My advice, you need to practice more, then this won't be an issue.
    Great advise there.
    As far as age.
    I have been shooting ammo from the late sixties regularly and it all works just fine.
    The advice about continually chambering the same round is good also. Shooting a mag a week is a great idea and rotate your makes.
    Koli's back from Ambler.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Diggler View Post
    Leave your gun loaded though... if you continually rack the slide to load the same cartridge over time, you can set back the bullet in the case, causing higher pressures.

If you have a set of calipers you could periodically measure the rounds against new ones to make sure setback hasn't occurred.

So don't load the same cartridge into the chamber over and over again.
    Right idea, but you should be careful how you word it. Not good to just suggest for someone to leave their gun loaded. Maybe better to say for them to chamber a differnt round after unloading.
    Koli's back from Ambler.

(Butler County)

Oh, I don't know... my carry piece is always loaded unless it's in my luggage for a flight.

I have a GunVault near the bed, and a full size safe elsewhere. If it's on me, it's loaded, if it's not on me, it's loaded but in one of the safes.

I haven't found a reason to unload it unless I'm cleaning it. It's perfectly fine to have a loaded, secured gun, and I don't think that any guns, even unloaded ones, should be left unsecured. So I don't see any benefit to unloading a defensive piece.

(Allegheny County)

So I don't see any benefit to unloading a defensive piece.
    they are just saying you should "unload" it (through the muzzle ) as part of practicing...

and that you should practice.

i actually unload mine (the normal way, not by shooting it) most nights to dry fire practice.

i just rotate the rounds so i am not constantly rechambering the same round everyday.

(Allegheny County)

Oh, I don't know... my carry piece is always loaded unless it's in my luggage for a flight.

I have a GunVault near the bed, and a full size safe elsewhere. If it's on me, it's loaded, if it's not on me, it's loaded but in one of the safes.

I haven't found a reason to unload it unless I'm cleaning it. It's perfectly fine to have a loaded, secured gun, and I don't think that any guns, even unloaded ones, should be left unsecured. So I don't see any benefit to unloading a defensive piece.
    Now that is much better than "Leave your gun loaded........" .
    Don't you think?
    Koli's back from Ambler.

(Jefferson County)

Cant we get a sticky about ammo not going bad with age? I think this is the 4th or 5th in a week or so.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast