Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (York County)

Default Remington Gamemaster 760 in .244

I have one of these that has been handed down to me from my Dad. It came from my great uncle's estate and i believe it belonged to my great grandfather. It is in pretty good shape, not perfect but has seen some use. I remember my dad using it for deer and an occasional groundhog when i was younger. I would like to get it out and put a few rounds through it. Problem is I have only one box of 20 rounds of .244 that are very old. I don't want to shoot them seeing as I am having a very difficult time finding any .244 Rem ammo. In fact I can't find any. I asked at a few local shops about a year ago and everyone either said "You mean .243" or "Huh?" I thought i remember reading that I could shoot 6mm in it but I want to make sure as to not screw anything up. Can anyone confirm this? Does anyone have any more info on this particular gun or does anyone have one? Also any idea what it may be worth seeing that it seems to be a fairly uncommon one? (Not that i have any intention of selling it nor will I ever) Thanks in advance.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Remington Gamemaster 760 in .244

The .244 Rem. is a 6mm rem with a different rifling twist. It is slower then the 6mm but you can use 6mm light bullets. Rem. saw the problem with the .244 and changed the twist rate. To avoid(?) confusion renamed it the 6mm Rem.

Jeff
    NRA Benefactor member
    NRA 2nd Amendment Foundation
    Colt Collectors Association
    Browning Collectors Association
    Sharps Arms Collectors Association
    SASS Association

SANS PEUR et SANS REPROACHE

(Cambria County)

I think it's a shame that nobody in a gun shop could tell you that you needed 6MM Rem. ammo. Good luck with the old bugger.

My cousin bought an old 760 (the originals have a metal bolt cover) and it shoots great.
    Last edited by buster; November 23rd, 2008 at 01:39 AM.
    Every man is my superior in that I may learn from him.

(York County)

Thanks for the info. Looks like I need to add some 6mm to my ammo order then. Mine does have the metal bolt cover. Serial number is 300030. If I had more time available to deer hunt it would probably be my choice of gun out of what I have currently. (assuming i have ammo, lol) It has a scope on it and I recall it being fairly accurate. Just has that nice gun feel though.

(Crawford County)

Hello, I happen to have the same gun as you handed down to me from my grandfather. I know from experience that you can shoot 6mm rounds in this gun. My grandfather bought this gun brand new in 1958 and it still shoots great today.

(York County)

I put four rounds of 6mm through it last weekend just to see and had no problem. I need to get it to the range now and get it sighted in a lil better. I took it deer hunting as well this past weekend but didn't get anything. Thanks to everyone for the info. I like this gun a lot.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government" -- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334