Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Westmoreland County)

Default What do you think?

Reading post on here and other forums, no surprise to anyone most all components are still in short supply. I was wondering if bartering bullets for lead would be feasible. My idea I would assist and instruct a member using my equipment to cast and Lube/size bullets for half the lead they would provide. I would only do this with guys in my area as they would be doing the actual casting and lube/sizing, I believe I would need to get at least 5 pounds of lead out of the each deal to make it feasible for me. What would be the down side to doing something like this?

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by hornady View Post
    Reading post on here and other forums, no surprise to anyone most all components are still in short supply. I was wondering if bartering bullets for lead would be feasible. My idea I would assist and instruct a member using my equipment to cast and Lube/size bullets for half the lead they would provide. I would only do this with guys in my area as they would be doing the actual casting and lube/sizing, I believe I would need to get at least 5 pounds of lead out of the each deal to make it feasible for me. What would be the down side to doing something like this?
    Downside - if you are making ammunition or ammunition components to be sold in commerce you would need the appropriate FFL. You would have to be mindful of things so it doesn't appear to function as a business.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Downside - if you are making ammunition or ammunition components to be sold in commerce you would need the appropriate FFL. You would have to be mindful of things so it doesn't appear to function as a business.
    As long as no money exchanges hands would it be a business transaction?

And is it possible to coat the lead bullets to be tmj or fmj?
    <-Click For My Youtube [Don't waive your rights with your flags. -Sage Francis]

(Westmoreland County)

I was just talking a simple trade, use my equipment, lube, and electric for the pot. In exchange for lead. It would be a pain but I did see a you tube video, They were platting bullets with common household items.

(Monroe County)

In Pa., barter is a form of taxable transactions and is supposed to have sales tax reported and paid to the state. You're trading a service for a good, and 'service' is taxable. So you may want to reword your post.

Personally I think 1/2 the lead is a bit excessive, unless you're doing ALL the work. A 1/3 seems more reasonable to me.
    “When a man cannot chose, he ceases to be a man.”

(Westmoreland County)

I should have known the state would have a way of getting a cut, I thought it would help me get some free lead, as well as help someone with some bullets. Not worth the hassle.