Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Smith 442

Default Smith 442

Anyone have one? What do you think. I have had one on the brain lately. I want something lightweight. The SP101 is an old stand by, but I am looking for something else.
    Jules

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Smith 442

I have a 442 and it is a neat little gun. I bought it to carry for when my M&P wasn't as concealable as I like. Unfortunately I just feel way more effective with the M&P which usually leads me to sacrifice some comfort and just carry it anyway. So the 442 usually just sits at home. To be fair the 442 it is not bad to shoot and with my pocket holster it is hands down the most comfortable gun to carry I've ever seen! I've actually been considering selling it lately, just because it gets no use.

-I have the 442 in what I would call 95 % condition.
    -An uncle mikes pocket holster which works like a dream.
    -A custom made Brommeland IWB black leather holster.
    -A Bianchi OWB holster.
    -Two HKS speed loaders and a Bianchi spead loader belt holster.
    -Would also throw in a box of Federal and a box of Speer Gold Dot defense ammo

Like I said I'm only considering selling at the moment but if you are interested maybe we could work something out. Good luck with your search!

-Logan

(Montgomery County)

I had a 642(same as 442 except stainless)
    Cool gun,I sold it to another forum member.Was gon'a use it for carry but just ended up in the safe all the time,,I like my Mini -Cougar for carry
    Glock Certified Armorer, GSSF Member, NRA Member

(Pike County)

Howdy, I have a 442 that I bought early this year. I normally use it for carry when I will be driving for a long period of time, in a crossdraw holster. I also have a belt pack for it. Normally carry 3 speed strips for it. Nice and light, and the trigger pull is not bad for a DAO. Also can slip into a pocket without snagging. I like it, paid $380 for it new. It is also +p approved, which my 1960 vintage Chiefs Special is not. Holsters are a bit tricky, and many J frame holsters don't fit because of an over the hammer strap, which doesn't work with the 442. I found a nice Buchiemer holster with a rotating strap at a show for $5 that works great with it.

Thanks for the replies guys.
    Jules

(Philadelphia County)

I have a 642 as well as a 640. The 642 is MUCH lighter and easier to carry, despite being almost the exact same size as the 640. My 642 is on me almost 24/7.

You can't go wrong with a 442/642 and a set of Barami hip grips.

I just got my 442 friday after some muckluck with PICS (my own fault)...I think (thus far) its an awesome gun for carry...especially if you are the cargo pants type. The recoil is a bit more than I expected (after shooting 38sp out of a S&W 27) but its manageable. Also I have large hands so it likes to shift a bit in my hands so I think I'm gonna get a set of Hogue grips for it. I didn't notice much difference between regular 38's and +P's ....I can't imagine guns shooting full house 357's out of the 360 Smiths with these light alloy revolvers...