Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Adams County)

Default Gun Buy Back in Lancaster

I saw a blip on WGAL 8 this morning that a church in Lancaster is sponsoring a gun buy back.

I couldn't find any links to it online.

Did anyone ever determine if you'd be arrested for sitting on the street and offering cash for long guns?
    Adams County Sport Handgunners Association - President

(Berks County)

Default Re: Gun Buy Back in Lancaster

Of course it's legal. Just do the transfer.

(Adams County)

With a long gun there is no transfer paperwork.

I have just read articles posted in threads when the subject comes up that some one was doing this and was forced to stop by the police.

If I had some extra cash, I'd love to see what I could pick up. The report didn't say how much they were offering. It just said free gift cards.
    Adams County Sport Handgunners Association - President

(Chester County)

I love those so called "gun buy backs". Ever notice what usually winds up in those bins? Mostly rusted, non functioning hulks, BB guns, and worthless other junk. Rarely do you see piles of working firearms or anything of any real value. Its nothing but a community "feel good" measure at best. They do it and everyone will applaud how "X amount of evil guns were taken off the street", when in reality they accomplish nothing except to help the scrap metal guy. Its a joke! Most of the people dropping off these guns are just crackheads who figured out a way to get easy money to support their habits.
    Last edited by Poonie; August 8th, 2008 at 07:46 AM.

(Lancaster County)

yea i saw it to, i am gonna go see if i can get me a 12 gauge double barrel for cheap
    sig sauer p239 .357 sig DC(open carry for now)
    witness .40s&w
    .22mag/lr revolver
    .22 remington rifle semiauto
    12 ga moss 500 pistol grip(loaded with slug hollow points)[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

(York County)

I saw it on 8 last night, they said "GIVE" the guns to the church to get them off of the street!!!

No mention of monetary buy back then.
    C.R.

(The Invisible Poster)

Where liberty is but a flickering flame in the distance., New Jersey

Quote Originally Posted by Poonie View Post
    I love those so called "gun buy backs". Ever notice what usually winds up in those bins? Mostly rusted, non functioning hulks, BB guns, and worthless other junk. Rarely do you see piles of working firearms or anything of any real value. Its nothing but a community "feel good" measure at best. They do it and everyone will applaud how "X amount of evil guns were taken off the street", when in reality they accomplish nothing except to help the scrap metal guy. Its a joke! Most of the people dropping off these guns are just crackheads who figured out a way to get easy money to support their habits.
    Add to that the fact that scumbags can turn in a gun used in a crime and all of the sudden a previously stolen or illegal gun ends up in the pile and the joker just gets his $ and bounces. Do they take names and contact info of people that turn in the guns? Do they do any checks on SN? Or how about balistics tests to see if a turned in gun was used in a crime before they just destroy them?

Why don't the police offer to clear the guns history (make sure it has not been used in a crime), make sure it is documented that it was from a buy back or siesure, then auction them off (that is based on the legality of the siesure) to make money. Let folks buy those guns like they do with the cars and such.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by adymond View Post
    Add to that the fact that scumbags can turn in a gun used in a crime and all of the sudden a previously stolen or illegal gun ends up in the pile and the joker just gets his $ and bounces. Do they take names and contact info of people that turn in the guns? Do they do any checks on SN? Or how about balistics tests to see if a turned in gun was used in a crime before they just destroy them?

Why don't the police offer to clear the guns history (make sure it has not been used in a crime), make sure it is documented that it was from a buy back or siesure, then auction them off (that is based on the legality of the siesure) to make money. Let folks buy those guns like they do with the cars and such.
    No way, as it might cost them money! I seriously doubt they are doing any of that other than maybe noting the serial numbers in a three ring binder which will wind up in the smelter along with the guns.

(Bucks County)

Why do they always call these stupid programs buy backs? How can you buy back something that you never owned? Is there going to be an FFL there to deal with any handguns? Somehow I doubt it. So the antis don't have to abide by the law? WTF?

Where liberty is but a flickering flame in the distance., New Jersey

Quote Originally Posted by Poonie View Post
    No way, as it might cost them money! I seriously doubt they are doing any of that other than maybe noting the serial numbers in a three ring binder which will wind up in the smelter along with the guns.
    That's what I thought so really if you were a criminal and wanted to permenatly get rid of a stolen weapon that was used in a shooting all you would have to do is turn it over and if it is a "buy back" you would even get some compensation for it. WTF?!?!? Add to that the fact that the stolen gun's owner would probably like to know where their gun ended up and it really starts to piss me off.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast