Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Post Office

(Beaver County)

Default Post Office

Ok, so I was in the post office today by where I live, ambridge, Beaver county, to attempt to pick up some mail. (I had to put it on hold because our landlord failed to tell us they were redoing the sidewalks and we wouldn't be getting any mail) so I am walking out and I have a Ambridge Police officer in front of me carrying out a package. So I take a look at his hip and he has his Glock on his side.

So here are my question(s). I know us, as LTCF holders, can not carry into a post office(which I left my gun in the car) but are police officer's able to carry into the post office?

Thank you in advance

Default Re: Post Office

The way the sign reads in the P.O., police probably feel they are covered by the "official purposes" line.

I don't think too many people would question a LEO in uniform.

So the question remains...is carrying by a person with a LTCF an "official purpose'? I wouldn't want to be the test case!

Last edited by HiredGoon; November 6th, 2008 at 12:48 PM.

(Lebanon County)

I don't know if the LAW allows them to but since I'm not allowed to and I bet the employees aren't allowed to I'm glad that SOMEONE is carrying when they're in there. If SHTF sure would be nice to have something other then packages to throw at the BG. Our cheif of police carries in the post office. Of course I read something he said in an email from the RTK about me and he seemed to think that only LEOs could carry within the city so I don't think he'd know any better anyway.
    Last edited by shefearsnothing; November 6th, 2008 at 12:55 PM.

(Bradford County)

I would assume that it would not be legal for a LOE to carry a weapon as per the sign that is posted, unless they were responding to an emergancy, (who is gonna challange?), but it also states "on postal property", so leaving it in the car in thier parking area would also be illegal as well.

If you read the sign it says "except as provided in subsection (d)". LEOs are allowed to carry firerarms in other Federal buildings and National Parks.

(Somerset County)

yes , LEO,s are allowed . funny thing , I have looked all over in our post office in our little village and there are no signs.
    Don't blame me ; I voted for an American .

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by GRIZ View Post
    If you read the sign it says "except as provided in subsection (d)". LEOs are allowed to carry firerarms in other Federal buildings and National Parks.
    18 U.S.C. 44 §930(d)

(d) Subsection (a) shall not apply to—
    (1) the lawful performance of official duties by an officer, agent, or employee of the United States, a State, or a political subdivision thereof, who is authorized by law to engage in or supervise the prevention, detection, investigation, or prosecution of any violation of law;
    If the LEO is not "performing their official duties" then this exception does not apply. Does Officer Joe who is coming home from shift, off the clock, dropping off a personal package qualify as official duty?
    Last edited by tl_3237; November 6th, 2008 at 03:23 PM.

Does Officer Joe who is coming home from shift, off the clock, dropping off a personal package qualify as official duty?

This can start another argument but in many places local LEOs can arrest a police officers anywhere in the state. Not a citizen's arrest. LEOs have statutory authoriy to carry firearms which is why they don't need carry permits. There is usually a requirement for LEOs to do something (sometimes be a good witness) when a crime is committed in their presence. There is case law which says that Federal LEOs are in performance of their duty when they act on a state crime committed in their presence (the perpatrator was convicted of the Federal crime of Assault on a Federal Officer when a DEA Agent intervened in the armed robbery of a grocery store.

Like it or not that's the way it is. Going by the strict "in performance of their duties", a Postal Inspector couldn't carry his weapon in a Post Office off duty.

Quote Originally Posted by GRIZ View Post
    There is case law which says that Federal LEOs are in performance of their duty when they act on a state crime committed in their presence
    So they can carry, if it's against the law for them to carry off duty, then they are in the presence of a crime, so they are on duty!

I should be in politics

if it's against the law for them to carry off duty

Federal LEOs are not subject to any state law only their agency's policies. They can carry on commercial flights if they took the TSA course.

In any case your reasoning is amusing although I never heard of anyone arresting themselves.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast