Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default AR15 ammo recommendation

My RRA standard a2 is still three weeks away. The anticipation is driving me BANANAS. Anyway, I'd appreciate recommendations on appropriate good quality ammo for target shooting. I'd like to have high end/low end options so I can have an idea of what I should be using if I either want to get the most out of my rifle or just pop off some rounds for giggles

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: AR15 ammo recommendation

on the high end, black hills makes excellent AR-15 ammo. either the new stuff (red box) or the reloaded stuff (blue box), if you can find it. it can be a bit pricey, though.

on the low end, wolf works great for plinking.

federal american eagle is in the middle there somewhere. my ARs really like it.

i bought 1,000 rounds of remington UMC 55gr a couple months ago when it was on sale somewhere. i haven't shot any of it yet though, so i can't comment on it other than to say it is generally nearly as cheap as wolf, but not quite.

i have heard some people say remington UMC can cause issues with some ARs, but i dunno...

i have come to shoot UMC ammo exclusively for practice with my glock (9mm) and have not had a single failure in over 10,000 rounds, so i'm pretty confident that their AR15 ammo will work fine for plinking as well.

one thing i have noticed is that the POI at 100 yards can change more than you would think from one type of ammo to the next, so you might want to find some affordable ammo that works well for you and stick with that one type. with pistols, i have never noticed that much of a change when switching from one type of ammo to another...since the ranges are much closer...but with rifle ammo, it seems it can make a big difference.

(Westmoreland County)

I have best luck with Winchester White Box at 55g but I have also popped off a ton of cheap Wolf just for fun! (Off course, all of my shooting is just for fun!)

I've been shooting black hills 55gr and 52 gr (blue box) and guatemalan surplus with good results out of my S&W.
    "The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil but, because of the people who do nothing about them."
    - Albert Einstein

(Franklin County)

personally stocking up on lake city M885, green tip.... just have a feeling that it will become harder and harder and harder to find.

UMC 55g for plinking.

(Lebanon County)

nothing but wolf here. it'll be lucky if it ever sees a brass case.
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

(Chester County)

this pp m193 ammo is full nato spec 55gr stuff at a decent price - http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/P...isan_.223.html

it's not gonna give Black Hills sub-MOA groups, but it's good blasting ammo from what I hear.

Thi is real m193, not xm193 rejects. Get it before serbia/bosnia has a conflict over their recent self liberation.
    Last edited by MTechnik; April 9th, 2008 at 07:04 PM. Reason: bad typing - feeding baby

(Allegheny County)

I've shot about 15,000 rounds of WOLF through various .223/5.56 guns with zero problems, so there is your good low end option.

I also use 55 grain Remington, thousands of rounds of that with zero problems, and it's cheap and available at wal-mart.

(Adams County)

Blue Box Black Hills 55gr FMJ.....mine eats tons of it. Only problem was some split/nicked necks with a couple lots.

Rem UMC 45gr HP has fed perfectly for me........the ground hogs hate the stuff though!
    “IF THE DEVIL COACHES NAVY ORDNANCE, THEN HELL IS THE ORDIES HOMEFIELD”

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by MTechnik View Post
    this pp m193 ammo is full nato spec 55gr stuff at a decent price - http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/P...isan_.223.html

it's not gonna give Black Hills sub-MOA groups, but it's good blasting ammo from what I hear.

Thi is real m193, not xm193 rejects. Get it before serbia/bosnia has a conflict over their recent self liberation.
    I agree 100% on the Prvi Partizan. I've shot several hundred rounds of this in my stag model 1 with zero problems. The UPS guy just delivered another 400 rounds today! I've ordered 3 times from AIM and have been very happy with their service. They deliver fast, I think like 2-3 days to my door. I think they are based in Ohio.

PC

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast