Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Wayne County)

Default Call Your Representatives!

I urge all of you to call your district Reps about the State Game Land shooting ranges. I’m sure all of you are aware of the situation of range closings for the lead remediation. The ranges in Wayne County were supposed to reopen today. They were scheduled to close August 20th and reopen after two weeks. Well today has been two weeks. I called the game commissioners office and found that all the ranges in Wayne and surrounding areas will remain closed until late October. I then called my Representative Mike Peifer and explained the situation; they were unaware of the range closings in the area and sounded shocked to find that they are All closed, some of which, since May. Plus most of Eastern PA. (Not to mention hunting season coming) Talking about it doesn’t help unless you take action. I suggest that all of you call your Reps and make them aware of the situation. Let me know what all of you find out.

Wayne County NEPA District Rep. Mike Peifer
    www.RepPeifer.com
    Honesdale Office 570-253-5533 Harrisburg 717-783-2037
    Last edited by GreatBarren; September 4th, 2008 at 10:00 PM.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Call Your Representatives!

Great idea! Somebody needs to make the PGC move along a little faster.

(Wayne County)

The more people that call the better, let them know whats going on. Lets get these ranges open.

(Monroe County)

What does our representatives have to do with the PGC de-leading shooting ranges? Are they paying the PGC's budget?

- Does anyone know if they have been cleaned up fully? Is there indepth testing required due to lead getting into the water? do they have to go deeper? Are they still building the new improved berms?

- Are the funds available to rebuild the ranges? Do they have the manpower to do it?

- Are the ranges (which are offered free to all even if they don't buy a license) even going to be reopened? There is a lot of time an money put into the ranges... over 1/4 mil a year based on the 06 budget, that doesn't include people patrolling them

fyi: this is from the PGC website: (reference 06/07)

Statewide Commission Projects

Lead Remediation and Upgrade of Shooting Ranges: This project involves the repair and upgrade of existing shooting ranges across the state. Each range undergoes a lead remediation process which prevents lead from leaching into the ground or surface waters surrounding the range. Contaminated soils are treated and removed from ranges that are designated to be closed. Safety upgrades to the backstops and side berms are constructed at ranges which are designated to remain open.

Lead remediation was completed at 36 shooting ranges in 2006 and 2007 at a cost of $1,035,111.70. 15 ranges were permanently closed in this project. Safety upgrade projects were completed at 20 other ranges. Lead remediation and safety upgrades for another 16 ranges is scheduled for 2008. Lead remediation at these ranges will be completed by the end of August 2008.

** here is the update from 2007 (Notice the extra 1/2 a mil needed?)

Agency Wide projects
    Lead remediation of rifle ranges - 37 Shooting ranges (public and administrative) cleaned in 2007 and 2006. 14 (9 administrative, 5 public) out of the 37 ranges are now permanently closed. 16 more ranges have to be cleaned in 2008 to complete the project. Allocated $1,063,000.00 for project; project cost $1,029,311.70 so far. Additional $500,000.00 allocated in next phase of Growing Greener to complete the project.
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Monroe County)

Here is the current list from the PGC Website... supposedly it is kept up to date. I believe based on what I've read that any ranges not listed may be gone for good

Northwest Region
    Clarion 72
    Erie 109
    Forest 24
    Southwest Region
    Allegheny 203
    Cambria 108
    Fayette 51
    Greene 179
    Greene 223
    Indiana 248
    Washington 245
    Westmoreland 42
    Westmoreland 42
    Northcentral Region
    Centre 176
    Clearfield 77
    Southcentral Region
    Cumberland 230
    Northeast Region
    Carbon 141
    Columbia 58
    Lackawanna 300
    Luzerne 91
    Luzerne 206
    Monroe 127
    Pike 183
    Wayne 159
    Southeast Region
    Berks 106
    Dauphin 211
    York
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Lebanon County)

On a side note, I've heard there is not much cost in the end, because they get money back from recycling the lead.