Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Re: Police officer discretion

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    Passing any way of legally using pot is ripe with effects. For instance, there is argument over the present scale of inebriation when tested for driving under its influence. Some say too tight, some say too loose. Question is, will science, politician, or court findings eventually arrive at a reasonable acceptable scale.
    It'll depend on the amount of revenue that can be squeezed from taxes and fines for it's use.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by JenniferG View Post
    What day? That's a myth from the 1930's. A friend of mine's Father got arrested back in the late 1960's and went to jail for drunk driving. The car was towed and he had to pay to get it released. I remember it because he was coming from the old Brandywine Horse track. Friend's Mom let him sit in jail overnight because he told her he wasn't going to the track anymore and she was fuming. It was in 1980 or 81 that the new MADD laws were enacted and there was no driving you home and dropping off no matter where you live.
    Nah, not a myth. Happened to me in the 80's. 17 and one too many. Cop pulled me over was my friend's father. Drove me home in the squad car. Told me "go get your car tomorrow - good luck explaining it to your dad".

I don't think it was common, and I -do- think it was all about smalltown life / cop knows you. But it did happen.
    DGAF

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by JenniferG View Post
    What day? That's a myth from the 1930's. A friend of mine's Father got arrested back in the late 1960's and went to jail for drunk driving. The car was towed and he had to pay to get it released. I remember it because he was coming from the old Brandywine Horse track. Friend's Mom let him sit in jail overnight because he told her he wasn't going to the track anymore and she was fuming. It was in 1980 or 81 that the new MADD laws were enacted and there was no driving you home and dropping off no matter where you live.
    Quit talking shit! Your friend*s father was probably an obnoxious, non-compliant drunk who threw up on the arresting Officer and deserved to sleep it off in jail.

I can give you names from the 70s, Guthriesville area (small town).

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    Due process? DUE PROCESS??? Read the 2nd amendment and then reconcile...define... your version of due process, please.
    I think you and I are well in agreement, but I’m merely conveying the courts ruling.

My opinion is “shall not be infringed” but I’m interested in others opinions so I’m not going to berate them for giving it- whether I agree with them or not

Quote Originally Posted by free View Post
    Obtaining a pot card is entirely voluntary. There is a process for it too. That's your due process. If you choose to prioritize getting high over carrying a gun, that's your business.
    And then other two?

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by JohnSmith33 View Post
    And then other two?
    Don't be a whack job or piss people off.

(Allegheny County)

What incentive is there to cut anyone a break? Seriously?
    1. being a decent human being

2. not having people celebrate when a crackhead gets a lucky shot around your vest

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Carson View Post
    Why, because I enforce the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania*s Crime Code.

I can pretty much guarantee you that anyone I have ever arrested for VUFA was also charged with an assault, robbery, murder or other charge.

Does committing or having committed any of those acts infringe upon their right to bear arms ?

Your story is changing. You can follow the COTUS and respect the basic human right to self defense. Or PA crime code

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by DMG View Post
    1. being a decent human being

2. not having people celebrate when a crackhead gets a lucky shot around your vest
    Those don't seem like compelling incentives.

(Montgomery County)

If she had kept her gun concealed and her mouth shut, she would likely have avoided further issues.
    Maybe true. Or dead.

Hard to know how it might actually have turned out. I don't know if NJ officers get/got PA LTCF info when they run tags/DLs. Then there is the question - is the officer fearful, biased (in several possible dimensions), and/or interested in fishing for something bigger than a traffic stop and will start asking questions? Do you then fail to answer or lie?

Regardless, immediate announcement of possession is law in some states, preached by most LE agencies and, I strongly suppose then and now, by the Philly GPU.

So it was the result of a likely "intricacies of the gun-world ignorant", but otherwise well-intentioned series of choices. BTW, have you heard how many folks seem to show up at TSA checkpoints with guns with them ...

FWIW, I met Shaneen on several occasions in that era and interacted on more. She is a smart lady who was just trying to protect herself and her family, but certainly not "people of the gun" then.

We "enthusiasts" seem to forget that most law-abiding gun owners don't make it a thing and aren't really aware that the legal system is an especially hazardous minefield for well-intention gun owners.
    How may threads are there on here about the ignorance or willful disregard of the actors in the legal system (LEOs/(A)DAs/Judges/Attorneys) WRT the application of gun laws?
    How may threads by generally knowledgeable folks (at least aware enough to know that they need to ask) on how to thread some particular needle without falling afoul of some arcane combination of restrictions? It sucks. It is stupid. And the "system" is quite content with having it that way.
    Keep perspective, recognize the good in your enemies and the bad in your friends.
    "--you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him." - Robert A. Heinlein, Revolt in 2100

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast