Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Berks County)

Default NRA Personal Protect?

Somehow I scored a $30 charge on my CC for NRA Personal Protect. I did not notice this charge before but now I have to check and see if I overlooked it. Anyhow, what the hell is this? I know I didn't sign up for it. And on top of it, this CC was recently provided and I haven't even used it on their site for membership renewal or anything. Anyone else get hit with this? I'll have to call on Monday and get to the bottom of it.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Columbia County)

Default Re: NRA Personal Protect?

I can't be 100 % sure but a quick search on the web reveals that NRA Personal Protect is a training course. It could be a DVD or access to a streaming site with the training video. The NRA did have a habit send it's members stuff they didn't order and then ask for the money or the merch back, however how they got your CC number is a mystery. I would check if it was the NRA who charge the card or was it a private vendor; AKA scammer. If it were me and someone got a hold of my CC number with my authorization or knowledge I would call the bank and cancel the card immediately.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    Somehow I scored a $30 charge on my CC for NRA Personal Protect. I did not notice this charge before but now I have to check and see if I overlooked it. Anyhow, what the hell is this? I know I didn't sign up for it. And on top of it, this CC was recently provided and I haven't even used it on their site for membership renewal or anything. Anyone else get hit with this? I'll have to call on Monday and get to the bottom of it.
    That's weird. I handle the registration for the NRA pistol courses at my club. A couple of weeks ago, I received the follwing emai from someone I don't know:

"I was recently charged $172 for an NRA personal protection course that I did not sign up for. This is either a fraudulent charge or a screw up by the NRA. I would like refunded ASAP and I would like to know who I need to contact in regards to this so I can make sure my account hasn't been compromised."

He apparently got my contact info from either the NRA sight or my club's site. Anyway, I told him that it wasn't me as we only take checks or cash as payment. Looks like someone may be running a scam. At least you only got hit for $30.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by wew3 View Post
    That's weird. I handle the registration for the NRA pistol courses at my club. A couple of weeks ago, I received the follwing emai from someone I don't know:

"I was recently charged $172 for an NRA personal protection course that I did not sign up for. This is either a fraudulent charge or a screw up by the NRA. I would like refunded ASAP and I would like to know who I need to contact in regards to this so I can make sure my account hasn't been compromised."

He apparently got my contact info from either the NRA sight or my club's site. Anyway, I told him that it wasn't me as we only take checks or cash as payment. Looks like someone may be running a scam. At least you only got hit for $30.
    I did contribute to the Canadian convoy, it might have been hacked through that, I'll find out. Sometimes they start out small to see if it goes through. And fraudulent charges always get refunded.

(Berks County)

OK, now I figured it out. This charge was for the tickets I bought for the outdoor show. The number associated with the charge on the bill went to e-tickets, who did not answer their phone and did not call me back after I selected that option. Now that I've called and cancelled the card, I remember what the charge was for. But why would the NRA's name be on it? Oh well, if they call me, we'll straighten it out, maybe next time someone will answer the phone when I call.

(Columbia County)

It's extremely stupid of the vendor to label the purchased tickets "NRA Personal Protect". How the heck is anyone going to know what that charge was for when reviewing the CC charges?