Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (York County)

Default Value of a "Centennial" Garand?

This rifle was brought into one of the local shops when I was picking up something. The garand owner was trying to find out its value and possibly put it in consignment. The store owner was having a hard time giving the guy a value on it and stated that "since the centennials production numbers were under 1500, they arent listed in any value books so they dont have a benchmark value per se".

This particular garand was in perfect shape, with some type of stock stamp depicting (I think) the raising of the flag at Iwo Jima.

One thing the owner did say was that he didnt think he had the original box. (not sure about any paperwork)

Should this rifle have the same price and value as any other mint garand?

Should this rifle have more value in time than an average garand?
    The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities.
    Ayn Rand

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Value of a "Centennial" Garand?

Most commemorative firearms are not good investments. I would think that the Garand has no more value then an original. If I remember correctly this is a new rifle produced by Springfield. As a matter of fact an original in good shape would be worth more money.

Jeff
    NRA Benefactor member
    NRA 2nd Amendment Foundation
    Colt Collectors Association
    Browning Collectors Association
    Sharps Arms Collectors Association
    SASS Association

SANS PEUR et SANS REPROACHE

(Monroe County)

Cast receiver fake Garand rifle from an ersatz pretender company calling itself "Springfield Armory"? Uggh! As the poster above states . . . Commemorative guns (and other things) created as "collectibles" are mostly lousy investments.

A few years ago, I was able to buy an unfired as new genuine COLT single action army .45 LC in black powder configuration for about half price. This was some sort of historically meaningless wild west oriented commemorative issue gun complete with nice fitted wooden case. As recalled, I paid $700 for it. The exact same gun as a regular piece was about $1,200. The fine engraving and special grips actually diminished the gun's value. Sold that COLT to a friend who scrubbed out the gold leaf stuff from the engraved grooves and popped on a set of normal walnut stocks. That revolver may still be in use as a six shooter.
    Last edited by Capt Quahog; September 21st, 2009 at 05:05 PM.

First off: As stated a CMP return rifle is probably worth more, As this would be an original M1 - The commemorative rifle is either made by the Civilian Springfield Armory as stated, or is a refurb'd/refinished M1 in which case it would be worthless as a collector piece.

Second: There is nothing wrong with the cast receivers that Springfield uses, they have been around since the early 70's on their M1A rifles. While they aren't original machined receivers, they will still give good service.

The bottom line is, Somebody over paid for an M1 thinking it would increase in value, maybe in a hundred years...maybe.

TJB
    Recoil Happens

(Bucks County)

Value is directly related to what somebody will pay for it. Personally I would take a Service Grade CMP M1 to one of the 'newer' versions but that's just me. Functionally there is nothing wrong with a Springfield Armory M1 but there is much more to a M1 than just a pretty face.