Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Explanation of Ammunition Shortages

Bullet makers can't keep up with demand :

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...n/6633316.html

(Chester County)

Default Re: Explanation of Ammunition Shortages

If people would let go of the "sky is falling" attitude toward this subject, maybe the ammo makers could get caught up......To a large degree we, the consumers, are to blame for this by hording ammo.

(Lycoming County)

Same thing happened in the 70's Carter-spawned fuel shortage. I was working for a national fuel marketer at the time. We observed that folk who normally drove around with 1/2 to 1/4 tank, now topped off the tank regularly. The term "rolling storage" described the phenomenon of more gasoline stored in peoples tanks than in the supply system. That "I've got to get mine" attitude almost created a shortage where non existed before.

As the article said, some of the current ammo shortage can be attributed to an increase in arms sales. More arms owners equal more ammo sales. I'm one example. I've added several firearms of more personal defensive nature than the sporting arms that I've always owned. And, shame on me, have a higher round count for these than for my hunting rifle. Normally, I'd have a couple of boxes of a couple of different bullet types for my deer rifle. Now I have several boxes.

In my case, a deep distrust/fear of the current Congress, Regulatory agencies and Washington in general, fuels my renewed interest in arms and ammo.

Chambersburg PA (Pure Appalachia), Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by drose40 View Post
    Same thing happened in the 70's Carter-spawned fuel shortage. I was working for a national fuel marketer at the time. We observed that folk who normally drove around with 1/2 to 1/4 tank, now topped off the tank regularly. The term "rolling storage" described the phenomenon of more gasoline stored in peoples tanks than in the supply system. That "I've got to get mine" attitude almost created a shortage where non existed before.

As the article said, some of the current ammo shortage can be attributed to an increase in arms sales. More arms owners equal more ammo sales. I'm one example. I've added several firearms of more personal defensive nature than the sporting arms that I've always owned. And, shame on me, have a higher round count for these than for my hunting rifle. Normally, I'd have a couple of boxes of a couple of different bullet types for my deer rifle. Now I have several boxes.

In my case, a deep distrust/fear of the current Congress, Regulatory agencies and Washington in general, fuels my renewed interest in arms and ammo.
    "In my case, a deep distrust/fear of the current Congress, Regulatory agencies and Washington in general, fuels my renewed interest in arms and ammo."

If you think you hear an echo, it is not. It is another voice but with the same message.

Flash
    "The life unexamined is not worth living." ....... Socrates

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Poonie View Post
    If people would let go of the "sky is falling" attitude toward this subject, maybe the ammo makers could get caught up......To a large degree we, the consumers, are to blame for this by hording ammo.
    I agree it is the consumers but not all related to stockpiling. New gun owners (or existing gun owners buying a gun in a new caliber) are expected to purchase ammo for those guns. This fact plus the "sky is falling" people is driving the demand.

Economics tell us that either prices will rise to stop the stockpiling, supply will increase to meet the new level of demand or the concern over gun ownership will go away and new gun sales will decrease leveling off or decreasing the demand for ammo.
    "Cause remember: no matter where you go.....there you are" ---Buckaroo Banzai

(Monroe County)

is 35k rounds considered stockpiling?
    WAKE UP OR WACO!

Quote Originally Posted by Strapped View Post
    If you are that short on ammo I hope that the shortage is over before the shit storm hits.
    Courage is being scared to death--but saddling up any way. John Wayne

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Strapped View Post
    BB's don't count!
    "Cause remember: no matter where you go.....there you are" ---Buckaroo Banzai

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bucks_Man View Post
    BB's don't count!
    BB's lol... I'm not even counting my .22's...
    WAKE UP OR WACO!