Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default Garand problem......

A friend of the family has an M1 with a bolt that will not go completely into battery. I went to my dads to look at it and this is what I found:

Pic 1- Shows the Operating rod, very much off center in the channel. It appears to be bent in the direction of the charging handle.

Pics 2&4- Is the action upside down on the table. You can see the charging handle is hanging slightly away from the receiver.

Pic 3- Shows the max distance the bolt will go forward

I was not there when the gun stopped functioning. I do know he typically shoots new (modern) factory ammo out of the gun, not M2 ball. I took it apart further and tried to get things back where they belong and they just won't go.

Based on my inspection of the parts, and the fact he doesn't shoot M2 Ball out of his rifle, I think the Op rod is bent.

What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Garand problem......

There's definitely a problem. Probably a bent op rod like you first thought. As you know using the wrong ammo is a no-no in a M-1 Garand. Needs to be repaired by someone who knows Garands. Going price for a replacement op rod is between $120 - 180. Sometimes a rod can be straighten.

Might talk to Bill Ricca, as he local and very knowledgeable, may know a good competent local gunsmith. " http://www.billricca.com. "

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by X - Man View Post
    There's definitely a problem. Probably a bent op rod like you first thought. As you know using the wrong ammo is a no-no in a M-1 Garand. Needs to be repaired by someone who knows Garands. Going price for a replacement op rod is between $120 - 180. Sometimes a rod can be straighten.

Might talk to Bill Ricca, as he local and very knowledgeable, may know a good competent local gunsmith. " http://www.billricca.com. "
    Thanks for the link, I will check him out for any parts that are needed. I am pretty sure I can do the repair work. (replace the op rod) Just wasn't sure if there was/would be anything else that would have been damaged.
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.

PM sent!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "343" Never Forgotten

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by 96D View Post
    PM sent!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Got it, thanks for your help...

Hard to tell from the photo, but it looks like the operating rod jumped out of the receiver track.

Take another photo like M1_3.jpg, but in clear focus. I need to see the operating rod near the charging handle.

If so, it's an easy fix.
    Gloria: "65 percent of the people murdered in the last 10 years were killed by hand guns"
    Archie Bunker: "would it make you feel better, little girl, if they was pushed outta windows?"

http://www.moviewavs.com/TV_Shows/Al...he_Family.html

(Luzerne County)

The op-rod definitely is out of the rcvr track.

This can be caused by a worn tab on the op rod, improper assembly or a slightly bent op rod.

Tell him to stop shooting commercial ammo not loaded to M2 spec. It WILL damage the rifle eventually.

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by PA Rifleman View Post
    Hard to tell from the photo, but it looks like the operating rod jumped out of the receiver track.

Take another photo like M1_3.jpg, but in clear focus. I need to see the operating rod near the charging handle.

If so, it's an easy fix.
    Sorry about the picture quality, I took them with my phone....

(Butler County)

Looks like the op-rod is bent to me. Shooting the wrong ammo will do that. He just learned an expensive lesson. Don't shoot factory ammo in one. M-2 ball from the CMP is cheaper anyway! Swapping out the op rod is a piece of cake. Straightening one is a different story.

(Lycoming County)

Jim Swartz is a name that gets mentioned over on the CMP forum for being the op rod guru. I have his contact info... but it's at home and I'm at work. I can post the info when I get home. I'd go to him first before shelling out $100 on a new op rod.

ETA: As promised...

JSwartz280@aol.com

Jim Swartz
    827 Elgin Circle
    Pickerington, Oh 43147
    Last edited by clarion44; December 31st, 2009 at 08:25 AM.
    "Unus ut caput capitis"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast