Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with SGL

(Monroe County)

Question Help with SGL

Hello Everyone.

I'm moving to Monroe county in approximately two weeks (from NYC thank heavens) and had a few questions regarding the SGL ranges.

1) I have heard of a round count. What does this mean and can I only shoot a certain amount per trip or per shooter?

2) can you shoot clay targets with shotgun (don't like trap, I prefer to just throw it up there with a thrower and shoot) and if you can how can you tell which ones allow it?

3) There is a Handgun and Rifle SGL close to me in Stroudsburg marked by someone here on Google maps but is closed till Oct., is this usual and for how long do they shut down for.

Please tell me anything else you think I might need to know about the SGL ranges close to Monroe county and thank you all for yuur time and help.

Me and my lady can't wait to move and get active with you guys here on events and the open carry movement. Thanks again

(York County)

Default Re: Help with SGL

" The Seeds of Oppression Will One Day Bear The Fruit of Rebellion."

Welcome to the forum! You just found a gem in a pile of rocks. As for SGL's, we're all screwed. They are being closed systematically, evidently from east to west. Official reason is lead abatement. Many of us don't believe that for a second. The one nearest me has been closed for about 3 years now. The polular feeling is the govenor, who is anti-gun, is behind this. No idea if that is the case but something isn't right and we're paying the price. As for range rules....3 rounds in rifles, then reload. 6 rounds in a handgun, then reload. Most ranges have a seperate shotgun range. On the rifle/handgun side no multi-projectile ammo allowed....i.e. shotgun shells(or .22 ratshot). There are no RO's on the ranges but the users are supposed to designate one but I have never ever seen that happen. On occasion someone will try and assume the position but they get looked at as some sort of nut. You'll also see from time to time some really dumb/dangerous people due to the lack of a qualified RO. But usually it's a pleasent place to spend some time, maybe meet some good people and sharpen your skills. You may just want to pony up some cash and join a club, PA is full of them. Other members here can guide you to them in your area.

(Mifflin County)

Quote Originally Posted by ErSwnn View Post
    They are being closed systematically, evidently from east to west. Official reason is lead abatement. Many of us don't believe that for a second.
    I don't know if it's really "many" who don't believe it. Maybe "a few" or "some". Scotia was closed for it, and has already reopened.

Of course, SGL ranges are, in my (admittedly limited) experience, pretty crappy excuses for ranges, anyway. You're generally much better off joining a private club.
    Last edited by IV_Warrior; September 6th, 2008 at 08:14 PM.

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by ErSwnn View Post
    They are being closed systematically, evidently from east to west. Official reason is lead abatement. Many of us don't believe that for a second.
    SGL 245, far Southwestern corner of PA, closed for a few months last year for lead remediation. They reopened 3 weeks later than they had initially planned, but they've been open ever since.

SGL 245 is a rifle range and max round count is 3 rounds. It really does stink, particularly with a brand new AR, but those are the rules. I actually had someone at the range tell me not to mind the round count, but I'm not really looking to meet any PGC officers.

To the original poster - if you're looking to shoot often, more than once or twice a month, then I'd highly suggest finding and joining a local club.
    I declare to you that woman must not depend upon the protection of man, but must be taught to protect herself, and there I take my stand. -- Susan B. Anthony, July 1871

(Monroe County)

Thank You all for your quick responses and I can't believe I escaped N.Y. to move to a state that's moving in the same direction in regards to firearm laws.

I was hoping for ranges that were not restrictive and allow things such as practicing draw and fire and other CCW type practice. Is this possible at these clubs or SGL. Is spinner type targets able to be put on the range or is this out of the question.

Again thanks for your time and patience with a newbie to this.

Edit to add: I have plenty of expierience with firearms but when coming from a restictive area like NYC the idea of even a state run range is mind-blowing so the I can't even imagine what the rules could be.
    Last edited by ByAnyMeans; September 6th, 2008 at 09:19 PM. Reason: clarify

(Northampton County)

ByAnyMeans,

Welcome to our state and don't look back. It's a whole new world for any shooting enthusiast from a place like that, I know.

Start hitting up the rod and gun clubs. Size and rules run the gambit up to the size of a town and no holds barred. Annual membership is usually between $15 and $30, so you'll probably join more than one. I'm planning on joining at least two.

Regular for profit ranges can also be convenient but often pricey.

Quote Originally Posted by ByAnyMeans View Post
    Thank You all for your quick responses and I can't believe I escaped N.Y. to move to a state that's moving in the same direction in regards to firearm laws.
    Well, it's now your responsibility to help us keep that sort of thing from happening

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by ByAnyMeans View Post
    Hello Everyone.

I'm moving to Monroe county in approximately two weeks (from NYC thank heavens) and had a few questions regarding the SGL ranges.

1) I have heard of a round count. What does this mean and can I only shoot a certain amount per trip or per shooter?

2) can you shoot clay targets with shotgun (don't like trap, I prefer to just throw it up there with a thrower and shoot) and if you can how can you tell which ones allow it?

3) There is a Handgun and Rifle SGL close to me in Stroudsburg marked by someone here on Google maps but is closed till Oct., is this usual and for how long do they shut down for.

Please tell me anything else you think I might need to know about the SGL ranges close to Monroe county and thank you all for yuur time and help.

Me and my lady can't wait to move and get active with you guys here on events and the open carry movement. Thanks again
    1) You can only have three rounds in a rifle and six rounds in a handgun when shooting on the SGL ranges. You can shoot all day if you want, but you can only have a set number of rounds in the firearm.

2) I do not know if any clay bird ranges on the SGL ranges. There might be, but you need to look at the PGC web site to find out for sure.

3) The ranges are closed for lead reclamation and upgrades to the ranges. despite what some peole think this is NOT an effort to close the ranges. PA is a big hunting state and it would be suicide for any politician to try close them.

(Pike County)

Howdy, and welcome!

(Pike County)

welcome aboard from a fellow nyc native

left and never looked back,,,good riddance too zoo york

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast