Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Chester County)

Default Selling a gun at a gun show.

I recently sold a pistol at a gun show and was kind of confused. The dealer and I agreed on price, then I handed it to him, he took my license and wrote down some info, then cut me a check and I walked away.

Why was there no background check? How did he know he was not receiving stolen property or a gun used in a crime? The pistol was clean and I'm not a criminal but how does this process bar the people who are criminals or thieves?

Does this mean that when I buy a used gun it could be stolen or have been used in a crime?
    Believe those who are seeking the truth; doubt those who find it.

(Tioga County)

Default Re: Selling a gun at a gun show.

I'm not an FFL but if I am not mistaken an FFL is not required to do a PIC check to receive a firearm. Yes, you could get one that was used in a crime or been stolen. If such is the case and the law finds out you will be out the firearm. Your only recourse would be to attempt to get your money back from the FFL.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackal View Post
    I recently sold a pistol at a gun show and was kind of confused. The dealer and I agreed on price, then I handed it to him, he took my license and wrote down some info, then cut me a check and I walked away.

Why was there no background check? How did he know he was not receiving stolen property or a gun used in a crime? The pistol was clean and I'm not a criminal but how does this process bar the people who are criminals or thieves?

Does this mean that when I buy a used gun it could be stolen or have been used in a crime?
    USNRET '61-'81

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Selling a gun at a gun show.

Was it truly a dealer? If so, they dont need to do any "checks" in the course of business while obtaining firearms. They just have to note in their acquisitions book(bound book) the new(used) firearm.

And even if it was a plain-old Joe Smo that you sold it to and had a check done on him, there is NO check done on the gun to see if it was stolen.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!