Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default Looking for a good carry piece

Hey all, I guess with this thread I am more soliciting opinions than anything else.

I used to carry daily when I owned a bar and lived in another state. After selling the business I was forced to give up my carry "permit" (as it was called there.) When I used to carry I started off with a Glock 33 in .357 Sig. Overall, I just wasn't a big fan of the Glock, it just wasn't my style of gun. I later bought a Beretta tomcat in .32 ACP which is a nice little pocket pistol. My one concern was always the fact that while having ANY gun if trouble breaks out is better than nothing, the .32 I feared might be inadequate if I ever needed some serious stopping power. Thankfully I never had to use either in an altercation.

As I get closer to applying for my LTCF I have been thinking about what to get as a regular carry gun. I am looking for opinions and advice from those of you who do. Basically I want to carry concealed for the vast majority of the time. I tend to dress jeans and T-shirt and rarely a jacket (though I am willing to adjust if needs be) so I guess waistband or back would be the best holster location (but I am definitely open to ideas here). I'd like something with some decent stopping power and of course damn good reliability. I am open to different makes and calibers.

So, any advice is appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Looking for a good carry piece

Quote Originally Posted by Mike35 View Post
    Overall, I just wasn't a big fan of the Glock, it just wasn't my style of gun.
    What do you mean by this? It's good that you're aware of this, but knowing specifically what you didn't like about it will help us make more informed recommendations.

(Monroe County)

Sorry about that. To be a little more specific, I did not like the "safe action" system how the safety was built into the middle of the trigger.

(Allegheny County)

Here's my "story" about picking out my first carry pistol.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/pistols-41/60...rry-piece.html
    FNX-9 Two-tone

(Berks County)

Ok, so if I'm putting all the pieces together you're looking for a CC piece with these specifics in mind:

9mm/.40S&W/.45ACP
    IWB Holster
    3-4" barrel
    External safety

Beyond that, you're going to get as many different opinions as you will responses. For reliability, pretty much any established manufacturer will cover that. You'll find "haters" of this or that brand but there aren't many brands that honestly are junk. Every manufacturer has had problems at one time or another, some just spent more money on PR/damage control to hide it.
    Please help my Baby Kitties and I avoid being homeless.

Don't overlook small revolvers. .38 Special +p offers adequate power, it's accurate, and revolvers have advantages of their own. They are easy to use (though they do take practice to shoot well,) offer superb reliability, due to their shape they conceal easier than small autos. The shape tends to blend in, if they print it's not a big block like a semi-auto, often just a little "something" that isn't nearly as noticeable. Some of them are also quite useful for pocket carry, and offer the ability to fire reliably from inside a pocket.

I'm partial to 3" barrels, and in particular the 3" Ruger SP101 .357 Magnum. The 3" barrel offers most of the power available from a 4" barrel while being lighter and more concealable, and are much easier to shoot well with than a 2" barrel. The downside is that the 3" barrel guns are too long for pocket carry, and the SP101 is too heavy for it anyway. It does, however, ride extremely well on the belt in a Don Hume JIT holster, and conceals under a slightly loose t-shirt, even with the larger-than-standard Trausch grips I have on the gun. It is utterly invisible with an unbuttoned shirt as a cover garment. I like the .357 Magnum chambered gun simply because the heavier SP101 gives me the option of being able to use the more powerful round with good control, if I choose to do so. Though I do, usually, prefer .38 +Ps.

A S&W 642 is a 2" inch, very concealable .38 Special with a shrouded hammer, which means it's double action only. You can carry this on the belt, inside the waist band, in a pocket, on an ankle without really noticing it's there. The trigger is a dream, and with practice the gun is far more accurate than people would think.

In small semi-autos, the 9mm S&W 3913, or the modern version called the 908, or a Walther PPS offers 9mm power in a .380 sized gun. The S&W M&P 9c is a great, though slightly larger, compact 9mm. Like me, you've expressed a dislike for the "safe action" type triggers, but the M&P is available with a safety if that makes you feel better.

There are a plethora of small .380s. .380 is, IMHO marginal as a defensive caliber, but it's better than the .32, and does have an acceptable record. Walther PPK, Bersa .380, the much smaller Ruger LCP and Keltec .380s are worth a look.
    Last edited by JoeWilliams; July 11th, 2009 at 12:23 PM.
    "Never give up, never surrender!" Commander Peter Quincy Taggart

I know you said you are not a fan of the safe action system but I suggest you revisit it. The best safety is the one between your ears. Check out Glocks, Springfield XDs and S&W M&P's. With any of those three you can not go wrong. Accurate, reliable workhorses.

Fess

(Northumberland County)

the Beretta Tomcat .32 acp is adequate, i did some penetration tests up in the mountain with it , i tested 65 gr hydrashok they did ok mild penetration and expansion, i tested 71gr FMJ rem very good penetration about same as a 9mm hp i couldnt find most of the bullets after they punched thru the jug and the wood. my final test was the 60 gr silvertips average penetration and good expansion this is what i carry in my Tomcat now 7+1, i choose carrying the .32 over the 9mm cuz i like (lightweight) i carry my 9 in the winter and the .32 in the summer.

some people say the .32 aint enough gun they are referring to only a single shot, try emptying 8 shots of .32 acp 60 gr silvertips in the Attacker and then ask him how it felt afterwards...

point is concealment,weight and enough gun for the .32 acp caliber
    Last edited by TXDMERC73; July 11th, 2009 at 12:33 PM.

(Monroe County)

Personally, I wouldn't feel comfortable carrying anything under the 9mm/380/38 spl range. Even 380 is pushing it. 9mm comes in some seriously concealable, yet functional carry packages, and its a proven killing round.
    If not the most proven handgun caliber to date.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Washington County)

2.5-4" Smith and wesson 627. .357 magnum. 8 round cylinder. Plenty of stopping power. Easy to conceal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast