Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Bedford County)

Default Guns on Layaway?

Question:

What is the benefit of putting a gun on layaway? I know that people do this but am not sure why. Generall how long will most gun shops keep it before you have to pick it up? Do they require you to make periodic payments, etc. etc.

I have always just saved and then when I got enough I go get it. Just wondering if I am missing some cool benefit of laying a gun away.

(Tioga County)

Default Re: Guns on Layaway?

The only benefit I see to layaway is the shop won't sell that gun to someone else while your tossing money at the shop owner. If it is a gun that is difficult to get you can be sure it's there when you get done with the layaway.

Quote Originally Posted by Chunky Monkey View Post
    Question:

What is the benefit of putting a gun on layaway? I know that people do this but am not sure why. Generall how long will most gun shops keep it before you have to pick it up? Do they require you to make periodic payments, etc. etc.

I have always just saved and then when I got enough I go get it. Just wondering if I am missing some cool benefit of laying a gun away.

(Lebanon County)

teh shop i go to gives 90 days and even then he's real lax about that.. i would doubt the large chain type store would give more than 30 days.

the benifits? i don't need to save. i go to the shop, see something i like, and lay it away. i then go in every week and pay. some times it takes only 2 weeks, other times it might take 2 months.

over the years i have established quite the ''line of credit'' with my guy as i'm there often, and when i have stuff set back, i pay very regularly. there have been times i have had 3-4 guns set back at a time. he knows that i will not stick him. and with out it i would not have even half the stuff i do.
    Last edited by brian; April 12th, 2007 at 07:50 PM.
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

(Jefferson County)

We dont have much of selection in this area without driving 40+ miles, so when something I want comes in and I dont have all the cash - my local FFL's lay-away program is a blessing.

He allows 3 or 6 months on certain items. ...depending on his client and the price of the gun. He knows most of his customers are working class family people that dont have a ton of money at any given moment. I never barter with him even when his prices are a bit more because he does offer a payment program and will scout for anything I want.

90 days is standard, if it's not your regular shop, monthly payments are usually required.

I like it becasue I'm not spending "X" amount all at one time, it's not like they can charge you interest.
    "We shoot to stop. ... Unfortunately, death can be a byproduct."

(Centre County)

Bob's Army Navy in Clearfield does 90 day layaways.

Granted i'm a frequent of enough customer most of the firearm guys know me by name (thats the first bad sign) so they dont charge me the deposit. But i know i will be probably be putting my M1A on layaway once it comes in, which could be tomorrow or 3 months who knows lol. Anyways i'll layaway it because i spent the money i had set aside for the M1A on a PTR91...

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Jean-Luc Picard
    Oh yes, thats how it starts. The road from legitimate suspicion to rampant paranoia is very much shorter than we think.

I sometimes do lay away when I see something I want and don't have 6 or 7 Ben's in my pocket. I have learned that if you see something you have been looking for or just have a lucky find you better but it RIGHT NOW if you can. Sometimes when I do lay away, I pick it up the next day. It also helps build a good relationship with the dealer. Now, if I see something I want I ask him to hold it for me and I will be in in a couple of days and pick it up and he knows my word is good enough.

Best way - always try to keep 6 or more big ones in your pocket in case you need to splurge.

(Berks County)

I love layaway. God's gift to us non-savers and poor financial planners. I can never hold onto money, so only having to put down 25% up front is great. Especially if it is something not carried regularly and/or is out of that week's/month's pay range.

Cabela's gives 3 months, and that is plenty of time. I have one on layaway there now.
    Is it five o'clock yet?

(Monroe County)

I've never laid away before, but I gotta start doing that. The question is will shops let you do it with things like AKs and ARs?

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by chemist308 View Post
    I've never laid away before, but I gotta start doing that. The question is will shops let you do it with things like AKs and ARs?
    Yes an AR or AK on Lay Away is the same as any other firearm. I'm sure some shops are concerned about getting stuck with them if they are banned But it's not like the Ban will be voted in and enforced overnight. In most cases signing to Law takes 90 days.

Now if Rendell or the other's try to backdoor us with a TAKES AFFECT IMMEDIATELY, your shop should now how to handle that

Rich W.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast