Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Dauphin County)

Default A Few Questions from a New Guy

Hi,

After not shooting since college (35 years ago), I have decided to return to the sport, so I just bought a Ruger Mark II.

1) Since it's been so long, I think I should take a basic handgun course again. Do any of the Hershey area ranges offer the NRA Basic Pistol Course or something similar? Maybe even something like a "beginner's night" at the range?

2) The Palmyra Sportsman's Association is close to me, so I'm thinking I will join there (though I have not visited there yet). Do you have to have a member sponsor you to join?

3) Are there any shooting instructors in the area a beginner might contact? Paying for an hour or two so I don't pick up old bad habits might be a good idea.

Thanks!

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: A Few Questions from a New Guy

I think that joining a club is a good first step. You may find that, with a little help from other members, you don't need instruction. You may still need instruction and your club is a good resource for getting it.

Welcome back to shooting!
    VEGETARIAN: Native American word meaning "bad hunter"

(Lebanon County)

Default Re: A Few Questions from a New Guy

I've been a member of Palmyra Sportsmens Association for several years. I don't remember needing a sponsor when I first joined. I have the most recent newsletter with a membership application included in front of me and there's no mention of sponsorship.
    It is definitely a top notch organization with accomodations for almost any type of shooting you want to do.
    There are a bunch of good guys there who will be glad to help you get back into shooting and maybe on to one of their teams.
    There are other places in the area to shoot, most are less expensive to be a member, but in my opinion, PSA is a great club and the cost of membership is well worth it. (Very reasonably priced when compared to clubs and ranges in other areas).
    New adult membership is $60.00 for 1 year, renewal is $45.00. (That includes spouse and all children in your household under the age of 16).
    Senior and lifetime memberships are also available.
    Membership expires each year on October 31st.

More info here:
    http://www.palmyrasportsmens.com/