Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default AR regulations for Philadelphia

Hello

This is my first time posting to this forum. Thanks for having me.
    I am in the process of moving from Maryland to Philadelphia and I am trying to get some particulars on the Philly specific rules and regulations for owning and possessing AR-15 rifles. E.g. are there any such regulations or do they all mirror the greater PA laws? Any links or info would be appreciated.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: AR regulations for Philadelphia

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus View Post
    Hello

This is my first time posting to this forum. Thanks for having me.
    I am in the process of moving from Maryland to Philadelphia and I am trying to get some particulars on the Philly specific rules and regulations for owning and possessing AR-15 rifles. E.g. are there any such regulations or do they all mirror the greater PA laws? Any links or info would be appreciated.
    Firearm laws are uniform through out the state. The only difference is you need a LTCF to carry the AR or to have it in your car.

Great - thanks for your response.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by BenP View Post
    Firearm laws are uniform through out the state. The only difference is you need a LTCF to carry the AR or to have it in your car.
    Close, but not exactly. Firearm laws are universal throughout the state and can be found here:

http://reference.pafoa.org/statutes/...-firearms-act/

The only thing different about philly is that you need a LTCF (license to carry firearms) to open carry a firearm on foot. In the rest of the state, you do not.

That being said, an AR15 rifle is not considered a "firearm" for purposes of a LTCF. You do NOT need a LTCF to carry an AR15 rifle openly, concealed, on foot, or in a vehicle. However you cannot have a loaded long gun in a vehicle anywhere in PA, whether or not you have a LTCF.

If the AR15 barrel is less than 16", it will be considered a "firearm" and none of the above paragraph will apply. You will need to have a LTCF to carry it, and it needs to be registered as a short barreled rifle.

Hope that clears things up.

Yes that is very clear - thanks

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by bac0nfat View Post
    Close, but not exactly. Firearm laws are universal throughout the state and can be found here:

http://reference.pafoa.org/statutes/...-firearms-act/

The only thing different about philly is that you need a LTCF (license to carry firearms) to open carry a firearm on foot. In the rest of the state, you do not.

That being said, an AR15 rifle is not considered a "firearm" for purposes of a LTCF. You do NOT need a LTCF to carry an AR15 rifle openly, concealed, on foot, or in a vehicle. However you cannot have a loaded long gun in a vehicle anywhere in PA, whether or not you have a LTCF.

If the AR15 barrel is less than 16", it will be considered a "firearm" and none of the above paragraph will apply. You will need to have a LTCF to carry it, and it needs to be registered as a short barreled rifle.

Hope that clears things up.
    Read it again.

18 Pa.C.S. § 6108: Carrying firearms on public streets or public property in Philadelphia
    No person shall carry a firearm, rifle or shotgun at any time upon the public streets or upon any public property in a city of the first class unless:
    (1) such person is licensed to carry a firearm; or
    (2) such person is exempt from licensing under section 6106 of this title (relating to firearms not to be carried without a license).
    NRA life member/ILA/PVA/Whittington Center sponsor
    GOA member/Second Amendment Foundation member
    NAHC life member/KECA founding committee member

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by YosemiteSam View Post
    Read it again.

18 Pa.C.S. § 6108: Carrying firearms on public streets or public property in Philadelphia
    No person shall carry a firearm, rifle or shotgun at any time upon the public streets or upon any public property in a city of the first class unless:
    (1) such person is licensed to carry a firearm; or
    (2) such person is exempt from licensing under section 6106 of this title (relating to firearms not to be carried without a license).
    Good catch...so you do need a LTCF to carry a long gun in philly.

...and this would be a good time to recommend just getting the damn LTCF. I've read the UFA countless times and I still get the laws mixed up. If you have a LTCF you will be covered for pretty much any situation, including carrying in philadelphia, carrying concealed, in a vehicle, within 1000' of a school, during the state of emergency, etc. Still no loaded long guns in a vehicle though.