Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Molybdenum Disulfide

Anyone using Molybdenum Disulfide on your firearms? I have a 1.3 lb can of "Loctite Moly Dry Film Lubricant" and the net talks about how wonderful it preforms as a dry lube.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Molybdenum Disulfide

Quote Originally Posted by kimbercarry View Post
    Anyone using Molybdenum Disulfide on your firearms? I have a 1.3 lb can of "Loctite Moly Dry Film Lubricant" and the net talks about how wonderful it preforms as a dry lube.
    I ordered a lb of Molybdenum Disulfide xfine online. i mixed a little with mobile1 50w. I use it when i tear my guns completely apart, apply it to the sear and other parts spring loaded parts not easily accessible.

Can't say much more, I've only been using it for about a year. but I've also read a lot online on line. watching agi videos, Robert Dunlap makes a passing recommendation of it. I have a video for every gun I have.
    If You Need A Color In The Name Of Your Cause, You're The "RACIST" !

Default Molybdenum Disulfide

Thanks for the response. Adding it to oil should provide a good vehicle it to get to the desired location but I'm interested in using it as a dry lube. I know it has been used in camera gears, instruments, & such but not on firearms. Moly is added to a lot of lubes for high pressure applications but i'm not willing to subject any of my weapons as test cases for a dry lube.

(Bucks County)

the only time i've used dry lube was in rebuilding like a rear or a trans, things like that, just as a added precaution while it's sitting on a shelf or being used for the first time.

while researching I found that pure moly holds moisture. it seems the edges of it holds the moisture, I knew i was going to mix it with something, grease or oil so I wasn't to concerned about that.

If I remember correctly it's suggested using larger particles like fine to medium, it changes the ratio of moisture vs moly

It was over a year ago so I don't have any links, I'll try to find you some

Hope this helps
    If You Need A Color In The Name Of Your Cause, You're The "RACIST" !

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by 51158 View Post
    the only time i've used dry lube was in rebuilding like a rear or a trans, things like that, just as a added precaution while it's sitting on a shelf or being used for the first time.

while researching I found that pure moly holds moisture. it seems the edges of it holds the moisture, I knew i was going to mix it with something, grease or oil so I wasn't to concerned about that.

If I remember correctly it's suggested using larger particles like fine to medium, it changes the ratio of moisture vs moly

It was over a year ago so I don't have any links, I'll try to find you some

Hope this helps
    There is truth to that. A few years ago when moly coated bullets were a hot topic on the market it was being reported by folks that even their stainless steel barrel bores were starting to rust. It was attributed to the moly coating absorbing water, which in turn help the rusting to take place.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!