Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Curious: 12ga slug VS body armor

If a man wearing body armor was shot within 50yrd with a rifled slug from a 12 ga what kind of damage would it do if any. Would the guy be taken out of the fight due to injury or just continue on? I only ask because you see video of guys geting hit with AK's they go down but pop right up again so I wonder if that big lead slug would be any different.
    Last edited by das; May 10th, 2012 at 01:53 PM.
    [SIGPIC]

(Beaver County)

Default Re: Curious: 12ga slug VS body armor

I'm thinking 12ga slug vs body armor without trauma plate = out of the fight. IIIA should stop the slug, but I think the trauma would probably be crippling and potentially life ending (w/o plates). Just my opinion, please don't test it.

(Bucks County)

I would say from the force of the impact, even with the vest you have broken ribs and who knows what else going on.
    <-Click For My Youtube [Don't waive your rights with your flags. -Sage Francis]

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by JesterPgh View Post
    I'm thinking 12ga slug vs body armor without trauma plate = out of the fight. IIIA should stop the slug, but I think the trauma would probably be crippling and potentially life ending (w/o plates). Just my opinion, please don't test it.
    The temporary cavity created by a slug into a vest would be pretty significant. If you were to get hit square in the chest with a slug, while it wouldn't go through the vest the blunt force trauma from the impact would probably crush your heart and damage your lungs. You'd probably die within minutes.

Getting hit in the vest isn't like it's shown in the movies. Even with smaller rounds guys need to get to the hospital soon after the shooting or else they could suffer injuries.

If you watch some of the ballistics tests they do with vests you'll see that they put them over a clay figure so that they can show the size of the temporary cavity.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by NuclearSociety View Post
    I would say from the force of the impact, even with the vest you have broken ribs and who knows what else going on.
    ^THIS.^ Even with body armor, getting shot HURTS. It will leave a welt, it will cause damage, just not as much. If he was not dead or seriously injured (I'm thinking internal bleeding and broken bones), he is almost certainly incapacitated and not able to fight so well.

I will accept $5 million to be the test subject. Any takers?

The OP's question was asked for years because of the LA Bank Robbery shootout. If the patrolmen were allowed to have shotgun and the supervisors that had shotguns only had buckshot.

I have shot slugs extensively and its my unscientific opinion that a slug or two or three will stop a threat. The rounds will not penetrate but the shear energy transfer is tremendous. I cannot fathom a person not being affected negatively by 12 gauge slug impacts.

CL

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by das View Post
    If a man wearing body armor was shot within 50yrd with a rifled slug from a 12 ga what kind of damage would it do if any. Would the guy be taken out of the fight due to injury or just continue on? I only ask because you see video of guys geting hit with AK's they go down but pop right up again so I wonder if that big lead slug would be any different.
    I don't know what tests have shown but if I was in a situation where I had to defend myself against a vest wearing person I would feel the most comfortable using 12ga slugs if I was limited to what I already own.
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

(Montgomery County)

I know a cop whose partner was shot by a guy at point blank with a sawed off single shot 12ga, using a slug, during a traffic stop.

the cop was wearing a vest, and the impact broke his sternum, right side ribs, fractured his liver, and ruptured his stomach and spleen.

he survived, but retired on full disability.

that ballistic energy has to go somewhere.
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

(Chester County)

Here are pistol, shotgun and rifle rounds against body armor

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot16.htm

Hoplophobia is funny

cool link. Thank you.
    [SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast