Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Safely clearing a loaded gun.....

I'm looking for any input or advice on clearing a loaded semi-auto pistol. As I carry condition 1, I will be clearing my handgun when I arrive home. I do not want to store it in condition 1 (kids in the house). I cycle through ammo so I am not rechambering the same round. I understand the cardinal safety rules of handling a gun, and I am also practiced with the "tap-rack-bang" method of clearing a jammed gun. Does anybody know of an accidental discharge that has occured as somebody wracked a round out of the chamber? When I arrive home, I remove the clip, and them clear the chamber while facing towards the ground (I make sure my finger is nowhere near the trigger). Do you guys have any thoughts or advice on how you like to clear your weapon after carrying condition 1?

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Safely clearing a loaded gun.....

I do it the same way. Drop the magazine. Point in a safe direction. Eject chambered round. Rack the slide a couple of times and finished.
    If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words.

(Montgomery County)

It sounds like you have the right technique. One additional aspect to consider is walls and floors are mostly concealment in modern construction, not cover. Bullets can easily pass through floors and walls in most houses. Considering that, safe directions can be hard to find in multi level modern houses.

Curmudgeon had a thread a long time ago about this, here it is:
    http://forum.pafoa.org/general-2/452...e-warning.html
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Allegheny County)

To build on what Steve just covered:

We just broached this subject in the Concealed Carry Forum - under http://forum.pafoa.org/concealed-car...s-his-gun.html

Get a sand bucket (5 gallon pail, etc.) filled with sand or dirt to act as a clearing station.
    FNX-9 Two-tone

To unload and clear everyday in your house is asking for a problem at some point.

I would suggest buying a good locking safe and leave it loaded and put in safe.

Just my 02.

(Westmoreland County)

You can buy a key lock pistol box for less than $30 most places. Just keep it loaded and locked up.

Get a sand bucket (5 gallon pail, etc.) filled with sand or dirt to act as a clearing station
    falcn, I like this idea... have you used it before?

(Luzerne County)

Just to ad something; I have seen people get nervous when a gun jams and start fumbling around erratically. More than just a few times at the range. The main thing is keeping your composure and remembering all the basic rules of safety. Just my two cents.

Thanks for all the info. It sounds like accidental discharge while clearing could occur from accidentally putting one's finger on the trigger. I would definitely be better off getting a safe and leaving it condition 1. I plan on buying one this week.

(Jefferson County)

5gal bucket of sand...

If you can find a steel plate, put it on the bottom and fill it with sand. When clearing the gun aim it straight down into the center of the bucket.

Very few handgun cartridges will make it just a few inches into the sand in the event of a ND/AD.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

While we are talking about safes.....what do you guys think about using the gun case that came with it? The Kel Tec box that the pf9 came in is a padded case made of thick plastic. It has two tabs for padlocks when closed. I'm wondering if slapping a couple padlocks on the case (and of course hiding it) would work as a "quick fix". Does anybody lock their handguns in the factory cases like this?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast