Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Berks County)

Default Holster Problems

Got a used leather holster this past weekend at a flea market. Outwardly it appears in very good condition. Seems to be designed for a duty belt (large, reinforced belt loop). Though I've come on two issues;

First is relatively minor, but will still need attention. The snap for the thumb break is a beast to unsnap. Practically impossible when using the thumb in a presentation stance, and difficult even with no gun and two hands. There doesn't seem to be a large amount of crud jamming it. I was planning on letting it soak in bit of WD and cleaning it out with a brush. If that doesn't work, would I be able to take some fine grit sand paper and sand down the lip of the male part of snap without rendering it useless?

Secondly, and the nastier issue, is what seems to be inside. The leather looks like it's lined with a very fine felt, maybe suede. Since it was tight on my gun, I left it holstered for a few days to stretch it out a bit. Upon removal of my gun, the barrel was smeared with a very sticky black goo that took a few minutes with Hoppes and a rag to remove.

How do I revive and clean out this holster without messing it up? The exterior leather is gorgeous, and I'd like to use it for a 'dress holster' for OC events.

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Holster Problems

Quote Originally Posted by CommonHighrise View Post
    Got a used leather holster this past weekend at a flea market. Outwardly it appears in very good condition. Seems to be designed for a duty belt (large, reinforced belt loop). Though I've come on two issues;

First is relatively minor, but will still need attention. The snap for the thumb break is a beast to unsnap. Practically impossible when using the thumb in a presentation stance, and difficult even with no gun and two hands. There doesn't seem to be a large amount of crud jamming it. I was planning on letting it soak in bit of WD and cleaning it out with a brush. If that doesn't work, would I be able to take some fine grit sand paper and sand down the lip of the male part of snap without rendering it useless?

Secondly, and the nastier issue, is what seems to be inside. The leather looks like it's lined with a very fine felt, maybe suede. Since it was tight on my gun, I left it holstered for a few days to stretch it out a bit. Upon removal of my gun, the barrel was smeared with a very sticky black goo that took a few minutes with Hoppes and a rag to remove.

How do I revive and clean out this holster without messing it up? The exterior leather is gorgeous, and I'd like to use it for a 'dress holster' for OC events.
    i had a similar problem with a snap in the past..i looked closely at it and it turned out it was slightly oval, i bent it back to circular as best i could and then lightly hit the edges with a dremel kind of like the sanding you had mentioned. no problems after that.

As for the goo, only thing i can think of is a good leather cleaner, galco has one that works great! should be able to find it in a gunshop, also maybe try saddle soap to see if itll clean it out.

(Allegheny County)

I don't mean to be Mr. Negative, but I'd call it a loss and get a quality reliable holster.

Chambersburg PA (Pure Appalachia), Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by CHEMICAL View Post
    i had a similar problem with a snap in the past..i looked closely at it and it turned out it was slightly oval, i bent it back to circular as best i could and then lightly hit the edges with a dremel kind of like the sanding you had mentioned. no problems after that.

As for the goo, only thing i can think of is a good leather cleaner, galco has one that works great! should be able to find it in a gunshop, also maybe try saddle soap to see if itll clean it out.
    As for the goo - - determine if it is water-soluble or not.

But first, cram the thing FULL and packed with oil-sorb, sta-dry, or plain kitty litter.
    Let that soak out as much of the goo as possible. Then, if it is water sol, dampen it, scrape out what you can, wet it thouroughly,

and cram the holster full of "oil sorb, sta . . . ." for a week ot so/ If only solvent-affected, use naptha or odorless mineral spirits, soak the cloth part

and cram it full of "oil-sorb, sta-dry, etc . . . : Let it sit a few days, clean it out with a tongue-depressor or other sick, Try not to oil the holster, as that will cause the leather to slacken up and lose its shape and retention.

flash

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Flash View Post

But first, cram the thing FULL and packed with oil-sorb, sta-dry, or plain kitty litter.
    Let that soak out as much of the goo as possible. Then, if it is water sol, dampen it, scrape out what you can, wet it thouroughly,

and cram the holster full of "oil sorb, sta . . . ." for a week ot so/ If only solvent-affected, use naptha or odorless mineral spirits, soak the cloth part

and cram it full of "oil-sorb, sta-dry, etc . . . : Let it sit a few days, clean it out with a tongue-depressor or other sick, Try not to oil the holster, as that will cause the leather to slacken up and lose its shape and retention.

flash
    im thinkin the previous owner oiled the hell out of his gun and that goo is a combo of dripped oil and dirt that stuck to it. ew!

(Lancaster County)

Im curious to see it if you can post pics. I would personnaly spray any degreaser I could find around the house on the inside and try to wipe away that grime. Good luck whatever you do though.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by GuyMontag View Post
    I don't mean to be Mr. Negative, but I'd call it a loss and get a quality reliable holster.
    I have a few nice holsters, both from name manufacturers, and custom made. The holster is in nice enough shape outwardly, and I really like how it rides and looks. I'd hate to trash a perfectly good rig over a $0.50 snap and a little goo.

Quote Originally Posted by CHEMICAL View Post
    im thinkin the previous owner oiled the hell out of his gun and that goo is a combo of dripped oil and dirt that stuck to it. ew!
    Thinking the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash View Post
    It's water soluble, so I think I'm gonna have at it with a bit of Dawn and an old toothbrush. I'm going to soak the holster anyway to help it form to the gun anyway.

Chambersburg PA (Pure Appalachia), Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by CommonHighrise View Post

It's water soluble, so I think I'm gonna have at it with a bit of Dawn and an old toothbrush. I'm going to soak the holster anyway to help it form to the gun anyway.
    Cool ! You get the double-deal. Not only get the goo out, but get to shape the holster at the same time.

Remember to protect the gun with oil and a plastic baggie, and press and form the holster while extremely wet, weight it well with bags of birdshot, and let it dry - to shape.

Oiling the holster afterward is a NO-NO, as it will soften the leather. Just use neutral shoe-polish on the outside and you'll have a beauty. Just a possibility that the shoe-polish wax will have a salutary effect on the snap too, and it will function differently with a gun in it than it does without - honest.

Good on ya, saving an honorable and honest holster, giving it a new life, as it were.

Flash