Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How Many Mags?

(Westmoreland County)

Default How Many Mags?

All this talk about grabbing AR's, AK's and 30 round mags before the next AWB hits got me thinking...how many mags do you actually, REALISTICALLY need for each rifle? I currently have an AR and an AK but I only have 3 mags for the AR and 2 for the AK. Undoubtedly, I need to get a few more for each rifle, but how many is enough? Hell, even soldiers in battle only carry 3-4 mags, right? So, where do you guys say the line is between being prepared vs. just plain ridiculous mag hording?

(Chester County)

Default Re: How Many Mags?

i have well over 100 30rd mags for my ar... i wont give the exact number as i may be named a "nut"

I say (4) 30 rounders...the rest is just extra wieght to carry.
    Keep a few new extras on hand in case one were to break.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by P89 View Post
    I say (4) 30 rounders...the rest is just extra wieght to carry.
    Keep a few new extras on hand in case one were to break.
    That's what I was thinking...4-5 per rifle is a pretty good number. (Granted, if I had lots of fun money...I'd have hundreds, too! LOL)

Hell, even soldiers in battle only carry 3-4 mags, right?
    Employees of an armed military have an infrastructure dedicated to supplying them with what they need. They have the money and the ability to employ logistics.

You don't.

Magazines are mechanical and can receive damage and wear, so extra mags are extra parts. If you use the weapon for practical uses (in your house), then maybe you don't need 'that many' mags but it would be all about what you consider prepared.

If you ever plan to join a domestic fight to protect our constitution from enemies foreign or domestic, however, you should probably plan to have more magazines, because it's doubtful you're going to spend a lot of time finding a place to store your magazine and save it.

(Monroe County)

Depends on the rifle and how quickly you will need to go through a large amount of ammo. loading mags takes a long time assuming you have ammo handy to do so.

In the event of a zombie invasion are you going to have enough time to reload? probably not.

I would suggest at least 4 - 5 for each minimum. They do break and get damaged and you'll kick yourself in the ass in a few years when you can't buy them for less then 50 a piece when you could have gotten them for less then 15 each
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Elk County)

Quote Originally Posted by pex View Post
    Employees of an armed military have an infrastructure dedicated to supplying them with what they need. They have the money and the ability to employ logistics.

You don't.

Magazines are mechanical and can receive damage and wear, so extra mags are extra parts. If you use the weapon for practical uses (in your house), then maybe you don't need 'that many' mags but it would be all about what you consider prepared.

If you ever plan to join a domestic fight to protect our constitution from enemies foreign or domestic, however, you should probably plan to have more magazines, because it's doubtful you're going to spend a lot of time finding a place to store your magazine and save it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
    Depends on the rifle and how quickly you will need to go through a large amount of ammo. loading mags takes a long time assuming you have ammo handy to do so.

In the event of a zombie invasion are you going to have enough time to reload? probably not.

I would suggest at least 4 - 5 for each minimum. They do break and get damaged and you'll kick yourself in the ass in a few years when you can't buy them for less then 50 a piece when you could have gotten them for less then 15 each

Both posts hit the X-ring when it comes to spare magazines, IMO. It's best to have too many than be caught with not enough.

My personal numbers are 10 mags for a single weapon, or at least 7 per weapon if I have multiples. For example, if I had three ARs, I'd have at least 21 mags. At least.

Noah

(Chester County)

just to add: i have 100 30rounders loaded.... just in case ;p and a bunch more empty for spares, friends, etc

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by c.sander View Post
    just to add: i have 100 30rounders loaded.... just in case ;p and a bunch more empty for spares, friends, etc
    I hope the floor is re-enforced! thats a whoooollleee lotta weight on one spot :P
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
    I hope the floor is re-enforced! thats a whoooollleee lotta weight on one spot :P
    3000 rounds of 5.56 really isnt all that heavy... i have WAY more ammo than that around the house

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast