Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: quick opinion

(Bucks County)

Default quick opinion

ok i have a springfield xd9mm auto. I love the gun its got very low recoil etc... i was thinking about trading it in for a 357 magnum with a 4 inch. barrel. I think even a 357 mag would be easier to conceal, and i can still use it for work.(Im in the armor truck service.). i know i could still use my 9 for work also but i would like to hear some others peoples opinion about revolvers to autos. everyone i know is either pro revolver or pro auto so i can get an unbiased opinion.

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: quick opinion

The difference in conceal-a-bility would be negligible.

Get the wheel gun if you want to but you're not gaining anything in terms of concealed carry. The auto is actually "flatter" and conceals better than a revolver.

Quote Originally Posted by xd9 View Post
    ok i have a springfield xd9mm auto. I love the gun its got very low recoil etc... i was thinking about trading it in for a 357 magnum with a 4 inch. barrel. I think even a 357 mag would be easier to conceal, and i can still use it for work.(Im in the armor truck service.). i know i could still use my 9 for work also but i would like to hear some others peoples opinion about revolvers to autos. everyone i know is either pro revolver or pro auto so i can get an unbiased opinion.
    Honestly, I love my revolver, probably more than I love my semi-autos, but, in all honesty, if place in a position as you are, working for an armored truck service, I wouldn't feel comfortable carrying a revolver. Not because I feel it would be more likely to encounter an armed assailant, but because I think that if such an encounter occurred, it would most likely come in the form of an organize, planned, and heavily armed attack by more than one individual. If such an engagement occurred I would want to have the added advantage of the capacity of a semi-auto....this may also depend on other factors though...do you carry long-arms in the vehicles, do you travel with more than one other person, etc.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth.- George Washington

"I thought Lycan was a she"-dragonofpa

(Bucks County)

its just me and my partner, he carries a .40 caliber glock

(Westmoreland County)

xd9,

This is the third forum you posted this question.

I thought I lost my marbles seeing it in another forum and not seeing my reply.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by xd9 View Post
    its just me and my partner, he carries a .40 caliber glock
    Smart partner,

I would recommend a Glock for your field. Reliability of a revolver but higher capacity.

Just my 2 cents

PRMD,just a hair south of PA at York co, Maryland

Standard XD9? That's 16 +1, and I'd load it with +p+ if you want more oomph. I was looking at specs for buffalo bore hollowpoints in 9mm +p+, 1400fps. I'd assume other brands making a hp +p+ would be similar with same grain weight.

Or trade in for the FN five seven LOL- mag cap- 20! Not sure of the ballistics, but they can defeat soft body armor. Little rifle round in a pistol.
    LOL, I am a woman...

(Pike County)

.357's are nice, but in your job I would go with the 9. Armored hits can go fast and hard.
    If the xd ain't doing it for you, consider going with a different 9, or perhapps split the difference and go with a hicap .45 or .357 sig auto.
    Better yet, if you like the xd keep it and get a .38 snub or .380 auto for a CCW and carry it as a back up. A decent used one is about $200.

(Chester County)

I'd stick with the XD. If it's the caliber you're really concerned about, go to an XD45 or other .45 ACP. There's been a lot of threads debating the virtues of a high capacity auto-loader vs. a practically infallable aim and shoot revolver, but IMHO, your job definitely tips the scales toward hi-cap and fast reload.
    Last edited by str8shooter; September 7th, 2008 at 08:10 AM.
    You are a straight white man. You don't get to be the victim, sweetie.

(Lackawanna County)

Carry whatever (firearm/ammo) you can hit targets best with - period.

In the '90's, I carried a Smith M13 w/ two speed loaders and twelve belt drops and my Ruger SP101 on the armored trucks I jumped from - I never felt poorly armed.

My partner carried a Smith M19 and was 'almost' as good a shot as I was.

"Spray and Pray" is nice, but I'd stick with accuracy and control when my life depends on it. So, again, carry whatever you can shoot best. Making neck and eye shots that hit their targets with a .22 count a whole lot more than .50 caliber shots that go everywhere but on target.

If you want to switch to a .357 Magnum, that's fine (and I could list dozens of 'personal opinions' as to why you should). But, before you start carrying one (or more) of those .357s, make sure you can shoot it (them) as good, or better, than your nine.
    Cogito, ergo armatus sum.
    ...Say that to my face.