Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Beaver County)

Default Path to an AR build(s)

I post this as an invitation to share your AR building experiences (real building, not slapping a complete upper and lower together) and also as soon as I can post the first project or two (or three or four for confidence) maybe some of you in the W. Pa area will let me build one to your specs on your dime
    Last edited by ViperHummel; June 26th, 2017 at 11:55 PM. Reason: Thread name changed for clarity of topic

(York County)

Default Re: Evil Plastic! Path to an AR build(s) and my future?

While I would love to have some of the tools you mention, I was able to complete my build with an action block, and an armorers wrench. IIRC that was it, other than standard hand tools of course.

It was very easy, hardest part was making sure I didnt mar any surfaces. Especially watch out for the bolt catch roll pin. And when you assemble things like the takedown pin detents, put the whole thing in a large ziplock bag. That way if a spring and detent launches, it can't go to far.

YB
    The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities.
    Ayn Rand

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by YBNORMAL View Post
    It was very easy, hardest part was making sure I didnt mar any surfaces. Especially watch out for the bolt catch roll pin.
    I completely second that damn bolt catch roll pin! It's the only mar on my rifle.

I got away with using a hammer and a 1/16 pin punch I had lying about, and an armorer's wrench. The roll pin holders are a great idea, since that god-forsaken bolt catch pin WILL get away from you without that, or an extra hand/clever use of masking tape.

I would suggest looking at the http://www.ar15builder.com/ Instuctional Videos. Helped me out a ton.
    "Cave Johnson. We're done here."

(Philadelphia County)

Did you watch the Brownells' videos and bought all the tools used in the video?

I'm giving you a hard time, of course, since a lot of the tools you bought are really unnecessary. However, truth be told, they will not hurt your convenience. If you end up building a lot of AR, through personal endeavors or the dream store, these tools will be welcome additions anyway.

Without specific questions, it hard to come up with a list, but here are a few thoughts in no particular order.

1. Use masking tape (or any thick tape) to cover areas of the receivers where your tool may slip toward. I scratched the bolt catch area this way and could have done that in some other spots.

2. Pay close attention to the hammer spring. It can easily be installed backward and lead to light primer strikes and also the hammer and trigger pins to "walk" out of the receiver. I didn't do this, but bought a receiver with the LPK installed by an "experienced smith" who did this. Took me a while to figure out what happened.

3. Gas leak is the most common problem. Make sure you align the gas port of the gas tube properly to the gas block and that the gas block is aligned properly with barrel's gas port. This isn't common if you use standard front sight and gas block with the tapered pins and your barrel has grooves already cut out to guide the pins. Without those factors, you need to worry about gas leak.

4. Get a spare repair kit. Nothing can be a bigger buzz kill to the build than not being able to find a part that you sent across a cluttered room. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/587...sting-_-587468 . On that vein, if possible, do your build in a clean area.

5. Have someone else test fire your first build ...kidding, kidding..

Al
    "In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth and have begun striving for ourselves." - Siddhartha Gautama

(Beaver County)

Brownell's videos started the tool shopping, but it was also other videos on youtube. I get frustrated easily sometimes. I remember the aneurysm I almost had just from trying to get a Saiga 12 extended mag catch put on. I know springs will be flying, so the ability to increase the odds of success with minimal medical issues will be very pleasing.

I'd love to have people shoot what I build. How else will I get good feed back and gain trust with the public? I know it won't happen over night and will require a lot of money (loans and business partners), but I am 110% sure this is the path I want to take. I have an on going word document (suggestion from the girlfriend) that lists everything I want to do involving building, gun smithing, and the store. Sometimes I think I get too excited only to crash back down realizing everything that still has to accomplished.

Step 2 will be shopping for parts. I'll most likely start with building the upper so I don't have to worry about searching for a lower at an LGS. The goal is to be cheap but good. Cheap enough that I don't break the bank in building, using, and then selling, and good enough that I know I am on the right track and someone will actually want to buy what I build some day.

(Philadelphia County)

Don't over-plan it. Be Nike, "just do it"

Building an AR is not that complicated. I find some people get overloaded with information and end up with unnecessary work/worries. Build whatever part you have a complete parts for. Starting with the lower is a better approach in my opinion. It requires less, doesn't take a lot of time, and give you a sense for the tools.

For an economical build, Magpul parts for a KISS build is the way to go.

As for a business plan, spend some time on reading how to create a business plan. Evaluate competitions, market demands, what-can-you-do-better rationalization/marketing, and ultimately profitability are all things that you need to consider.

Al
    PS: Let someone test fire your build was a joke, i.e if it blows up, you're not the one to get hurt.
    "In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth and have begun striving for ourselves." - Siddhartha Gautama

(Allegheny County)

That's a lot of tools. I didn't buy a single tool specific to ARs and I built mine without any mars or scratches in anything. None the less I'm sure those will make it easier. Good lukc and enjoy it when it's done. I know I've enjoyed mine
    Last edited by RuthlessZ; February 14th, 2012 at 11:13 AM.

(Beaver County)

You didn't even need the armorers tool?? Told you I was a noob

Ordered a Bushmaster armorers tool and head space gauges. I figure it won't be for just building, but servicing and inspection ability. I'd rather be 100% sure about the end product. I still need a bench and a vise.

Shifting gears a little bit, what would you want to see in a gun store? Services, layout, inventory, etc. I need to talk to one of my go to guys about dealer pricing and how that works. I know you have to spend money to make money, but I can't lost my shirt and drag my family/partners down with me. My "go to guy" has some of the best and lowest prices and I'd like to be able to do the same and still make money to expand.

I've been to enough to know certain business practices I want to avoid as well as duplicate. Keep in mind, if I open one (years down the road or lottery pending) it would most likely be in the middle of Western Pa. (I want an indoor range but I won't have my hopes up.