Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Latest Pet Peeves

I hate it when people selling a firearm state "NIB" (New In Box). Unless your a dealer and the firearm has never been sold, then "NIB" is not an accurate description. "LNIB" (Like New In Box) is the correct description for a pristine used gun thats never been fired and/or out of the original packaging. Once a firearm has been sold it can not be resold as new or "NIB". And another thing, just like new cars, once the paperwork is done, and the car leaves the lot, the item loses value and is not equal to the price of a "new" one. And finally, don't forget that most manufactures warranties are only good to the original owner, so don't tell me it has a lifetime warranty unless it's transferable.

FYI, nothing has happened to me to bring on this rant short of reading the WTS adds here.

Hawk,
    Toujours prêt

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Latest Pet Peeves

Your post reminded me of an ad I saw a couple of weeks ago. Guy had a pistol that he bought it for 500$ and hadn't used it at all and wanted the same price as what he paid. His reasoning was that it was still new....

I like how every gun up for sale has 20rounds or less threw it myself

(Northampton County)

How about Minty! ( some one explain soes I understand, on a 96% gun.)
    NIB with turn line. ( It aint new if its a got a turn line, its been fiddled with)
    None finer! (you have seen every other one in existence?)
    Rare! hard to find! (you think that will make the sale? I know how many were made, and the guy three tables down has two of them, cheaper and better condition)

LOOK! WOW! (sorry, that will make me skip right over your auction)

Thanks I feel better now.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    I hate it when people selling a firearm state "NIB" (New In Box). Unless your a dealer and the firearm has never been sold, then "NIB" is not an accurate description. "LNIB" (Like New In Box) is the correct description for a pristine used gun thats never been fired and/or out of the original packaging. Once a firearm has been sold it can not be resold as new or "NIB". And another thing, just like new cars, once the paperwork is done, and the car leaves the lot, the item loses value and is not equal to the price of a "new" one. And finally, don't forget that most manufactures warranties are only good to the original owner, so don't tell me it has a lifetime warranty unless it's transferable.

FYI, nothing has happened to me to bring on this rant short of reading the WTS adds here.

Hawk,
    This also bothers me. For a few reasons. First.....if the guy is selling it....why did he buy it to begin with? Perhaps he won it at a gun show, but most gun shows will give the winner a cash alternative, or the shop will buy it back. But maybe the guy thinks he will get an additional $50 if he sells it himself. Meh? OTOH, I then think...hey...maybe the guy stole the gun? So, why would I want to buy a NIB gun if I feel a little uncomfortable that it possibly could be stolen? But....that's just me.

(Bucks County)

Not firearm, but years ago I drove a pretty good distance to look at a motorcycle the guy described on the phone as in like-new condition. When we (wife and I) got there, he wasn't there as arranged. His mother took us down into the basement where the bike was in four boxes plus scattered over the floor! Now, THAT was annoying!